Author Topic: La Boheme Viennese coffee bar Digbeth, 1960s  (Read 647 times)

Whispering Giant

La Boheme Viennese coffee bar Digbeth, 1960s
« on: May 07, 2021, 01:56:25 PM »
I'm new to B'ham Forum and not clear how to add to the thread about Andre Drucker, so this is adding to a topic not  new one.

Somebody has mentioned a painting of Manet's 'Bar at the Flies Bergeres' behind the till.  There were in fact paintings on every wall of  the cafe by Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso, Dali etc, except that when you looked closer they were signed Van Gogh Drucker...Picasso Drucker...Dali Drucker etc.  All painted by Andre.

I was one of a bunch of know-all art students from the Art School in Margaret St and we used to go down there to have a coffee and take the [censored]. 

Ian Dalziel

Re: La Boheme Viennese coffee bar Digbeth, 1960s
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 05:03:25 PM »
La Boheme Coffee Bar (1950/60s) opposite Gosta Green College of Advanced Technology (now Aston Uni).
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Gwladmab

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 05:11:39 PM »
Is that a ford Anglia 100E van in the picture?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »
Is that a ford Anglia 100E van in the picture?

Looks like it.

The notorious Basil Wainwright was a regular customer in his American car, which was a bit bigger than that van.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Gwladmab

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 06:31:36 PM »
I knew BW’s son - Wain and Daughter Jane. Interesting bunch. They frequented one of my haunts in the mid 70’s on the Stratford Rd, Monkspath.

The last I heard about Basil he was out in Africa or South America selling a ‘Cure’ for cancer. Got ill and died if memory serves me correctly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy