Author Topic: Robin Hood Island Draft Concept  (Read 2230 times)

Spud

Robin Hood Island Draft Concept
« on: June 05, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »
I know of people who go miles out of their way to avoid Robin Hood Island . Even on a good day it compares favourably with the Santa Pod Raceway. Normal traffic rules have long been abandoned the only one still in force is everyman for his self.
However our the Local Councillor has published 'Draft Concept Ideas' Oh my God. Cycle Lanes do have Cyclists brave enough to risk this place. Wildflower Planting to encourage Wildlife think we have enough wildlife on some Saturday Nights when The Robin Hood Pub turns out. Green buffers ? these are to create a environment both literally and mentally ... Really ? Then there is the proposed Bus Rapid Transport Route(Sprint) Best of all a raised rough road surface to remind Drivers to slow down as they approach The Robin Hood Local Centre. The speed some of them go they will never notice.
The Councillor is asking for thoughts and comments on this proposal. All I can say if this goes through Abandon Hope All who enters.....

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Gwladmab

Re: Robin Hood Island Draft Concept
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 06:28:26 PM »
Spud, I’ve known this island as man and boy, from trying to negotiate it on my little BSA bike with 20 inch wheels when getting conkers, Autumn time in the early 60’s to a boy racer, mid 70’s and an old one now, moaning at cyclists and boy racers and kids throwing sticks into the Conker trees.....

I’m not sure what it is about these new concepts. Nice to have but not always practical. Cycling is on the increase but for how long. In this country it is mainly a summer activity except for those that are keen all weather enthusiasts. How will the new concept function on a cold wet winters day, when all abound on the bicycle and the walk to the bus for a warm comfy ride in the car.

Flow is of the essence on this island as with any of them this close to the Motorways, any holdups traffic will quickly back-up a long way back.

I think a lot of it comes down to government targets and these councillors need to be following the narrative.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 08:22:01 AM »
Just as a footnote Gwl . Fox Hollies Rd is currently closed following a Fatal Accident involving a motorcycle and what is possibly a Saab.  The Police are  still trying to trace the car. The Motorcyclist and his lady passenger died at the scene.

frederick

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
I remember that area being busy but sensible. One time when I was younger coming out of the Robin Hood pub and getting into a car with a load of girls a girl driving and off we all went then for a laugh saying I will have get out I'm not used to being driven by a girl.     ;)    One of my friends was following.   ;D    And later in life my sons went to a private school just up the road from there on the right Rosslyn school.

I came upto Solihull for a birthday party at St Johns hotel he didn't know it but we were staying at his house aranged with his wife. When we left I wanted to go and have a look at where Leamington rd was and he said don't go along the Stratford rd it is not very nice that was 11 years ago.    :o    I am glad I don't live around that area now.     :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 10:14:39 AM »
Robin Hood Island must be like the island around the ARCH DE TRIOMPHE in Paris  ;D .
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

vamann

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 10:19:31 AM »
Robin Hood Island must be like the island around the ARCH DE TRIOMPHE in Paris  ;D .
You should try towing a caravan around the Peripherique in Paris scared me to death and never towed a caravan since :)

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
Know the feeling Vamann. But at least I used to drive ARTICS O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Gwladmab

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 01:56:18 PM »
Just as a footnote Gwl . Fox Hollies Rd is currently closed following a Fatal Accident involving a motorcycle and what is possibly a Saab.  The Police are  still trying to trace the car. The Motorcyclist and his lady passenger died at the scene.
That’s very sad news Spud. I spent a bit of time around that area as a biker early 70’s. My dad was right to help me with a deposit for my first car. Even though we had rows over the bike.

A biker friend of mine was killed near by the Three Magpies, he was just 17, bought a Norton Commando, hit a milk float, fibreglass fuel tank, he had no chance....

Spud

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »
Latest on the Fox Hollies incident a 47 year man has been arrested

Hi De Hi

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 08:08:00 AM »
I remember that area being busy but sensible. One time when I was younger coming out of the Robin Hood pub and getting into a car with a load of girls a girl driving and off we all went then for a laugh saying I will have get out I'm not used to being driven by a girl.     ;)    One of my friends was following.   ;D    And later in life my sons went to a private school just up the road from there on the right Rosslyn school.

I came upto Solihull for a birthday party at St Johns hotel he didn't know it but we were staying at his house aranged with his wife. When we left I wanted to go and have a look at where Leamington rd was and he said don't go along the Stratford rd it is not very nice that was 11 years ago.    :o    I am glad I don't live around that area now.     :(

My Missus taught at Roslyn for about 12 years, she left there 10 years ago.
As for Robin Hood Island it is the lights on the island itself that cause the problem.

Anyway, as a regular user of the Coventry Ring Road no roads either here or abroad hold any terror for me.

Spud

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 01:03:35 PM »
Dunno about the Lights being the problem as I see it is lane Discipline. Been round the Island a couple of times this morning. Half hour before starting out I formatted my plan of action. Outward centre lane from Robin Hood lane sharp left in to Solihull Lane keep eye out for marauders from Shirley Rd. Inward keep left from Solihull Lane quick right at the island keep eye out for skirmishes for those in the wrong lane as they turn in to Robin Hood Ln its been 30 mph for years but few take any notice. Note for Birmingham Council why did you lay Block Paving at Stratford Rd and Robin Hood Lane and Stratford Rd and Solihull junctions  its up and down more time than a Brides Nightie.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy