Author Topic: Road signs with incorrect post code.  (Read 478 times)

Darthdc

Road signs with incorrect post code.
« on: July 06, 2021, 06:13:47 PM »
I've noticed a number of street signs that have the wrong area code on them. There are a few close to where I live, and some are not because they're on boundaries either.

Here are a few examples:-

Bibsworth Avenue (Swanshurst Lane end) labelled B14 when really B13.
Same for Effingham Road (Brook Lane end) in Billesley.

Sign for Shirley Road in Acocks Green - on the main green, by the bus stops, is labelled B28.

Gwladmab

Re: Road signs with incorrect post code.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 08:52:02 PM »
Darthdc,

I lived in Hazelville Rd Hall Green from about 1960 to 65. Shirley Rd ran parallel with Hazeville Rd and Bushmore Rd was in between the two. Hazelville was in B28 at the time, pre moderne post codes, I’m sure Shirley Rd at that point from Robin Hood Island down to and probably past the Magpies pub was B28 too. However I’m sure Shirley Rd would have been B27 nearer Acocks Green back then.

Are they still the old cast iron road names? Or have they recently being replaced?

Darthdc

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 10:51:18 PM »
The sign in Acocks Green is fairly new. The others are older.

By the way, we lived in Hazelville Road between 1988 and 1990.

Darthdc

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »
My dad has told me that Onslow Road in Tyseley was cut in two by post codes. The cul-de-sac is right against the B11/B27 boundary and at one stage, the entrance was in Tyseley while the end was Acocks Green. The boundary is actually the Stratford line, which is to the east of Onslow Road.

Gwladmab

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 06:15:03 AM »
The sign in Acocks Green is fairly new. The others are older.

By the way, we lived in Hazelville Road between 1988 and 1990.
I have very happy memories of Hazelville. The journey to Lakey Lane School and down the shops by The Gospel Oak.

I met up with an old school friend a couple of years ago we had lost contact for over 50 years.

We went back to Hazelville Rd for a visit.

frederick

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »
Where I lived the address was Leamington rd Sparkbrook B12. But in fact in was in Balsall Heath as Stoney Lane was the boundary between Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath. When I married I bought a new house in Sheldon the house next to mine was in Solihull joined by the garages. The rates in Solihull were less than in Sheldon so we went to Solihull council to look at the boundary line.     :o     It was as though someone had dropped a length of cotton from a height it zig zagging everywhere at an angle it cut through nearly half of our garage, because most was in Birmingham we had to pay Brum rates.     :(       >:(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Gwladmab

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 06:02:07 PM »
Where I lived the address was Leamington rd Sparkbrook B12. But in fact in was in Balsall Heath as Stoney Lane was the boundary between Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath. When I married I bought a new house in Sheldon the house next to mine was in Solihull joined by the garages. The rates in Solihull were less than in Sheldon so we went to Solihull council to look at the boundary line.     :o     It was as though someone had dropped a length of cotton from a height it zig zagging everywhere at an angle it cut through nearly half of our garage, because most was in Birmingham we had to pay Brum rates.     :(       >:(
Fred where in Sheldon were you? I lived there around 1958 for a couple of years. Wileston Rd, just off the Radleys. My Uncle was in Boyne Rd

frederick

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Gw,
It was a new three bed house in the Glade bought and moved there when I got married in 1968. I was adopted and a few years ago I found out where I was born it was in the front bedroom of 58 Cranes Park road Sheldon. I believe The nationality is changing in that area.    :(

Gwladmab

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:14:17 PM »
Fred, so you were born and went back to live in the same postcode B26.

When you drove/walked out of the Glade and turned left towards town, a few hundred yards down the road on the left, was there a Toy and Bike Shop? In remember having my first bike with stabilisers from there, it was a BSA 20inch with 20 inch wheels. Dad had it on Hire-Purchase. Can you remember the name of the shop? I have hunted but no luck.

frederick

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 05:05:44 PM »
No I can't remember ether, there was a motor factors on the corner with Wells rd that I would shop at for car parts.

Gwladmab

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
You’ve got the right group of shops, I think the motor factors is still there and also a tyre place.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy