Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45593 times)

chas35

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »
Will try Phil

Chas

chas35

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Hi Phil that post re; Malvern was in

Can anyone help me with my next project.   Sept.21 2009

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
Hi Chas

I'm ashamed to say I still can't find it, can you post something to it so that it brings the post up the ranks to today.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

miki byrne

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »
I have just found this site. I have often wondered about some of the girls who were at Cropwood with me in about 1960-61. I wonder how they are and if their time at Cropwood had any affect on them in later life.I found Cropwood a most loathsome place. The regime was cruel and one member of staff, the Sister, particularly abusive. I believe that this place scarred me emotionally. It was made worse because all of the kids there were so ill in the first place. The dorms were damp, the treatment harsh and I hated it with a vengeance. So many girls ran away. If I had had the nerve and the means I would have burnt the place down. What passed for care there would not be tolerated today and the staff would be prosecuted. I'm glad it's not an open air school any more.

denise

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time,these type of memories never leave us,hope you can tuck them away now and enjoy life and [censored] them

miki byrne

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »
thanks for those kind words Denise. I have put things behind me to an extent but when I think of how many sick children passed through places like that , it makes me wonder if we really can call ourselves a civilized society. Still, as they say 'what doesn't break you makes you stronger' and I quess that's also true. Nice to hear from you. Miki.

denise

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
I don't think we will ever be totally civilised.

Too many bad people around for that to happen,just hope that what we do as individuals and the influence we can give to our own children ,family and friends helps to make our bit of worldspace a better place to be.

All the best to you  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:33 PM »
Hi Miki

My sister was at Cropwood from 65 to 68 things must have changed by then as she enjoyed her time there. But looking back at the environment that we lived in it wouldn't have taken much to be better than that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

miki byrne

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
Wow! I didn't expect these replies. You are such kind people. It's a sad fact that years ago,institutional abuse was accepted as the norm in educational establishments and other places of residence for children. Thankfully now our awareness is so much more heightened and people are prepared to speak out against those who abuse both the trust and the person of another human being. It's a change for the better. I was in hospital for nearly ten years before being transferred to Cropwood and although the environment in hospital had not been affectionate it had been caring. The contrast with Cropwood was overwhelming to me and the casual cruelty of some of the staff was a revelation into of a side of human nature I had not experienced before. I remember 15 girls running away in one day in protest. They were strange times. It's lovely to hear from you. All the best. Miki.

chas35

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
Hi Miki, sorry to hear of your terrible ordeal, I worked at Cropwood about 1978 for 4 yrs, then it was turned into a home for rebellious girls.  I used to work in the kitchens - the food was extremely good and the teaching staff also were very friendly and kind, so it had changed enormously, I am not sure what it is now but I know cruelty and spitefullness would not have been tolerated.  As kitchen staff I used to talk to the girls a lot and try and give advice where needed, even had one girl come and spend the weekend at our house as she could not get home.

Chas

miki byrne

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Hi Chas, It's a pity there weren't more like you when I was there. I don't think  I ever met a member of the kitchen staff.The food wasn't too bad but if you accidentally touched anything (passing somethig to someone else perhaps) you had to eat it whether you liked it or not and if you were deemed to be naughty you would go without and be sent to your dorm for hours with your clothes confiscated. I must have been unfortunate to have been there when certain membersof staff were there. I remember my mum getting in  touch with her MP about the conditions we lived in and trying to get an enquiry started. I'm glad that whatever happened after I left brought changes for the better. Thanks for your reply.
All the best. Miki

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy