Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45584 times)

sandrac

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »
MY mum was sent to Blackwell as a child because of her asthma, I think she must have been at Cropwood anyway she always refers to it as the open air school where the sides of the classrooms opened to the air, the porridge was thick and lumpy and they had to swim in an outdoor pool On Sunday they marched in a crocodile formation to church. she ran away with her friend after being slapped across the face by a prefect, they made their way on foot all the way back to Aston before being returned to the school, where her punishment was to write a letter to her soldier father telling him what a bad girl she had been. on his return after the war she apologised to him for being naughty and causing him to worry he had no idea what she was talking about and explained that the punishment was the thought of him being upset he never got the letter. to this day we hear " When I was at the open air school" and all 6 of us make violin gestures at her  Good job she can't see what we're doing!!! we'd get our legs slapped

vicbu

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »
i went to blackwell i think in 1958 for a month
i seemed cut of from outside world
i was saddened to find out that peter collinsthe world
champion racing drtver had got killed while i was away

annecrofts

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »
talking of convalescent homes, i was sent to one in 1952- 53 id been knocked down on bristol road ended up in selly oak hospital, fractured bones, i was sent to a convalescent home in the malvern hills, dont suppose anyone knows of this one, or why why i didnt go to the one in bromsgrove?  anne

ladyanna7

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
Hi Anne, I went to a convalescent home in malvern in the late 50's. It was called the Hugh Sumner convalescent home and was run by the saturday hospital fund. I remember the matron being very strict and scary. Dont think we were allowed visitors and letters home were censored. Lots of families then couldnt afford holidays and I think doctors often sent children there for a few weeks just so they could have clean air and good food.

annecrofts

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
hi, ladyanna7
thanks for your reply, its nice to have a name, i only remember it was malvern, and i was awfully homesick, and didnt like the staff,i memory i have is lying in bed at night , and there must have been a funfair nearby,  icould hear thatmusic they all used to play,i must have been about 7-8 yrs old.i'll try to get some info on it if i can, thanks once again anne

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
Hi Ladyanna

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure there are other photos on this forum of another convalescent home at Malvern but I am unable to find it at the moment. Perhaps it was on another forum. It was called St Cuthberts and I remember posting this photo to the thread.

Other than the photos, I know very little about either building other than I thought you might like to see them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

chas35

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
Hi Ladyanna and Anne

I too went to a  conv.home in malvern sometime in the 50's and it must have been the one you were sent to ladyanna, because I think it was from the hospital saturday fund, yes the matron was a tyrant I remember we had rice pudding with apricots in it and a few of us just could not eat it, but we did not get away with it we had it for the next meal. I remember we all walked in line to the sweetshop to spend our pocket money  (highlight of the stay), also remember meeting a lovely girl there called Maxine she had beautiful red hair, (said if I had a girl I would call her Maxine but she turned out to be called Benita instead)

chas35

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
Hi Ladyanna and Anne

I too went to a  conv.home in malvern sometime in the 50's and it must have been the one you were sent to ladyanna, because I think it was from the hospital saturday fund, yes the matron was a tyrant I remember we had rice pudding with apricots in it and a few of us just could not eat it, but we did not get away with it we had it for the next meal. I remember we all walked in line to the sweetshop to spend our pocket money  (highlight of the stay), also remember meeting a lovely girl there called Maxine she had beautiful red hair, (said if I had a girl I would call her Maxine but she turned out to be called Benita instead)    Phil you posted a photo for me on this site re; malvern.

chas35

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
sorry last one should not have been a quote just wanted to tell Phil that it was me he posted a picture for.

annecrofts

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »
gosh, this is really interesting1 now i wont know wich one i went to. although pics look familiar, but i suppose all those type of buildings did    anne

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
Chas

I don't suppose you can recall the name of the thread, as I've tried to find the thread but I am unable to do so.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy