Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45592 times)

nickcc

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »
I remember Blackwell quite well.  My Mother had a heart attack in 1959.  After spending a few weeks in the General and Jaffray (spelling ?) in Erdington she ended up in Blackwell.  My Sister and i used to catch the Midland Red From behind New st station when we used to visit, quite a long journey when you're 13.  My Mother couldn't wait to get home and would have dishcharged herself if they hadn't let her go.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

denise

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nickcc :)

nickcc

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:43:40 AM »
Many thanks nice to be here.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
Hi nickcc,

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here. Most do and decide to stay, hope you will be one of them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vicbu

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
i went  to blackwell convalesence in 1958 stopped there a month, well taken care of

bcfcbluenose

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on here. Yes Blackwell Convalescent Home (also known as Blackwell Recovery Hospital and a long time ago Blackwell Sanatorium) was in Blackwell, Bromsgrove. Now it is a small housing development having been demolished in the late 1980s. During WWI  it served as a recovery hospital for wounded servicemen, later Birmingham kids were sent there to recover from the ailments of the day caused by poor diet, soot, smoke and poverty etc. I've attached a picture....Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
Hi Paul

Welcome to the site, we will be only too glad to make you welcome here. Do you live out Blackwell way now? Its a nice part of the world to live. Or do you have some other connection?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

bcfcbluenose

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome. Yes I do live in Blackwell these days, on the exact site of the old hospital, I have more of a connection than that though. My Mum & Uncle were both shipped out to the hospital when they were young to"get better". At the time they lived in Alma Crescent, Duddeston, but shortly after my Grandad got a better job and the family, 13 of them I think,  managed to get a move out to the new paradise of Perrywood Rd. Great Barr which was still quite a green field area. Mum still has memories of Alma Crescent, one that sticks in my mind was when she was only six or seven and my Gran asked her to run down to the butchers to get Grandad a halfpenny chop, "and tell him to make it a big un". If anyone can remember the Arch family from either of these addresses it would be great to hear. Cheers, Paul.

bcfcbluenose

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks Denise

tramp

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »
Welcome to this forum bcfcbluenose,

You've made a good choice.  It's good to see that you still live in brum as many members live elsewhere in UK or overseas.   You sound as though you'll be at home with our age group, many of whom are 55+ (a lot!) and can rememember the good and bad old days, so pull up a pew and settle in O0

tramp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy