Author Topic: Murder - 33 Inkerman Street, Vauxhall, Birmingham  (Read 764 times)

jbaker1957

Murder - 33 Inkerman Street, Vauxhall, Birmingham
« on: October 08, 2021, 06:05:47 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am in the process of compiling my family tree, and it appears that my great, great Aunt (Louisa Swift nee Ayre) was murdered by her husband John in 1941 (can’t believe we have such gruesome skeletons)  I have found some newspaper items covering the arrest and trial, but cannot find any information on his sentence (my aunt thinks he was sent to an asylum). There was also mention of three sons, but again I cannot find any reference to them.  Apparently they lived at No. 33.  Does anyone have any pictures  or information please? Thank you.

GardenerGerald

Re: Murder - 33 Inkerman Street, Vauxhall, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 09:33:00 PM »
Hello J Baker
Bomb Shock caused people to do strange things. Your relative was detained and I expect sent to a mental hospital
like Hattan.
Do not put him down other people in that area killed people because of Bomb Shock.
Ed lived in Inkerman street and I lived in Cathcart Street, that street crossed Inkerman Street.
Most nights because we had Railways both top and bottom and a major Gas Line to Birmingham we were bombed.
He got me one night and the only thing that survived was me and the Goldfish in a fishbowl.
Ed and I were tough youngsters.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 11:27:27 PM »
Hi j Baker sorry can't help you was born in 1939
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Alberta

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
Hi, there are records of 2 sons born to John and Louisa , Charles in 1910 he is with John and Louisa living with her family in 1911 in Gt Francis Street
Another son was born in 1915, Arthur W, he testified at the trial to say that he was unaware that his parents marriage was bigamous.As John was about 23 and Louisa 18 when they married I find it very unusual, were you aware of this.
The family are at 33 Inkerman Street 1939
John b 10 Mar 1886
Louisa b 28 July 1891
Arthur W b 16 Nov 1915
There is another entry blacked out.

I think Arthur W Swift married Elsie Dodd in 1941.

Alberta

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 03:06:47 PM »
Arthur W Swift b 16th Nov 1915 died in 2003 in Gloucester.

jbaker1957

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 11:38:18 PM »
Hi Alberta.  Thanks for the update.  I have managed to ascertain that there were two children born to John and Louisa.  I was also told (by my aunt) that the marriage was bigamous, but I can’t seem to find any reference to this.  Where did you get all your information from?  I’ve looked in the newspaper archives and found three publishing’s, but I think I need to get the Assizes court case material.  Any further help would be appreciated.
Arthur W Swift b 16th Nov 1915 died in 2003 in Gloucester.

Alberta

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 03:43:01 PM »
Hi, I found the 1911 census on Ancestry and found childrens births on there,
I put Louisa Swift murder  into Google and came up with snippets of newspaper stories but you have to register to read the full article.

jbaker1957

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 10:06:41 PM »
Thank you Alberta.  I am also on Ancestry.  I will take a look at the 1911 Census.  I’ve found the newspaper articles and I’m just trying to piece things together.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy