Author Topic: Booking a Table  (Read 659 times)

Spud

Booking a Table
« on: November 23, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »
Last Friday we had dinner at one of the Local Restaurants lovely little place on Stratford Rd Opp Waitrose . I've know the owner for many years  The place is small cosy very friendly excellent food at a reasonable price. At a push you probably seat just over 20 people. So a booking for 15 was quite a big deal. A table was Booked for 7 pm for 15  by 8:30 no one had turned up. They  tried to contact the person who booked the table .No reply. The restaurant has been doing particularly well of late had a few Full Houses after settling down after lock down and moving premises. There are two or three similar restaurants in the area and one in particular has been spreading malicious rumours makes you wonder if one of the rival restaurants no names no pack drill made the booking with no intention of taking up the Table.
Anyway I've Booked the entire restaurant for a Family Get together to celebrate a certain very big Anniversary. They will opening especially for us in a few weeks time.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

lmr3103

Re: Booking a Table
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »
Spud I feel guilty if ever I have to ring to cancel a booking, never mind not ringing and not turning up!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 04:12:23 PM »
Did the owner not ask for a deposit and a visa card. and address  ::) ::)
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 05:44:34 PM »
Not sure about the actual details other than a contact number was left. In my own mind I think it was a rival restaurant no more than100 yards away that made the booking the same people spread rumours about restaurants closing and owners retiring To be honest they have tapped us up about going to their place  but no way would we go. Like our regular restaurant it is run by Italians and the little we have had to with them I just do not trust them

Charlie cheek

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »
That sort of behaviour really can have a big impact on a small restaurant, not only the lost income but with carrying  perishable stock can impact especially if the next day is quiet. I've been involved in catering for over 50 and sadly this sort of thing is on the increase.

Scipio

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 06:10:22 PM »
Spud very sad to hear that there are some terrible people around , I've heard of something similar where we have a place in Norfolk , the gaffer of the pub/hotel in the village took a booking he had some outgoings  to pay for, he same thing happened but he ended up giving up albeit he was broke or pig sick about . Good for you with your booking at least he'll know you'll turn up .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Hi De Hi

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 11:34:21 AM »
We tried to Book the Desco lounge a bit further up the Stratford Road.  Missus walked in last saturday and was told that they were fully booked for the following Saturday.  In Wednesday she phoned to be told that she could book but there was a minimum place setting of 6.  As we were a 5 we couldn't book. However later we found a 6th and called back.  Minimum booking 8 places!  When we queried this we were told it was 'policy'.  So we went to a nice Nepalese place we know instead.  We went past Desco on the way, they were almost empty!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 11:44:47 AM »
As the saying goes if you play with fire you get burnt 
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 05:13:04 PM »
Never been in Desco but I know of it. Bit surprised that they even take bookings but I suppose being a Saturday Night its different bit silly though a party of six with a definite booking turned away  bird in the hand etc
I always book at our Local Italian  but he tells me he will always find us a spot He's got a Music Night on Friday Paco and his Guitar. When we in there last week they told us that they had already reserved us a Table  for this Friday

Scipio

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 06:35:25 PM »
We tried to Book the Desco lounge a bit further up the Stratford Road.  Missus walked in last saturday and was told that they were fully booked for the following Saturday.  In Wednesday she phoned to be told that she could book but there was a minimum place setting of 6.  As we were a 5 we couldn't book. However later we found a 6th and called back.  Minimum booking 8 places!  When we queried this we were told it was 'policy'.  So we went to a nice Nepalese place we know instead.  We went past Desco on the way, they were almost empty!

If on a site like Trip Advisor , go on and register your complaint , perhaps with a lack of customers they might wake up .
Good Luck
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Gwladmab

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 06:18:18 AM »
I suppose what you don’t know with a restaurant is that they may a have been telling the truth. Yet they’ve been made, victims themselves by another business/customer in the area that has made a booking for 6, 10 or 15 people, with no intention of turning up. Just wanted to damage the restaurant. OK, you may be asked for a deposit, there are ways around that too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy