Author Topic: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947  (Read 47883 times)

Chris93940

Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947
« on: June 30, 2006, 06:56:59 PM »
Hello

I'm tracing my Dad's working life in Brum as a Radio & Television Engineer from 1923 – 1957.
I came across this photo of a street, taken in the bad winter of 1947, I think.
The new building on the right has ‘Stella’ on the front.
It’s built next to a bombed out house.
Above the gas lamp on the left is a church spire showing through the mist.

Does anybody know what street it is and what did ‘Stella’ make?

RodB

Re: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 08:40:56 AM »
It's possibly Gooch Street? Stella Press maybe?

There is a Stella Tyre too in Lower Essex Street

Could the picture be a bit later 1962 perhaps?
Birmingham History Webring http://www.birminghamhistory.co.uk/

john2000

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
RodB, Gooch St, had no slop in the road from Lincoin St  at Edward Rd, down to Sherlock St was level, ( 2 miles) you could walk down from Edward Rd along Lincoin St then into Coxs St West, cross over Balsall Heath Rd in to Longmore St, down to Belgrave Rd, cross Belgrave Rd in Cooch St, follow the bend around past Highgate St ( on the right ) past Woolworths and the post office ( on the right) along to Conybere St  ( on the right )and then carry on past Hope St ( on the left ) down to Sherlock St. .not  at any point along that route was a hill or slop of any kind, so I think the street on the photo, is not Cooch St, but the church would help if we could pinpoint it, all the roads between Cooch St and the Mosley Rd were on a hill.
But the Street in the photo could be in the area of Highgate, I got a feeling it Wrentham St, but I still cant place the church/school.......John 2000 ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Chris93940

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:21:48 AM »
Hello RodB & john 2000
The snow photo was taken pre 1957 as we moved from Brum after that date.

This new photo I found looks like it was taken earlier.  The sign says ' Stella Tyre Factors'. So as you said RodB, it may be Lower Essex Street.

The small lorry has blackout headlamps and possibly white painted wing edges. Making it a WW2 photo.
The two children would now be in their seventies.

Thank you for your input.

john2000

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:44:19 PM »
Chris93940, great photo, you dont have any more like that do you ?, in or around that area. ? I'm trying to find out about Wrentham St which is also in that area, ( I've been told that I had family living there at some time ) ???

Chris93940

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:35:28 PM »
john2000,
Here is another photo my Dad took. It says Kent Street on the back.
I don't know if this is near Wrentham Street as I don't have my A toZ handy. I don't know if he worked in Kent St.
I wonder if the Austin survives?

john2000

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
Hi", Chris93940, great photo, of Kent St, it reminds us of how our world was back then, ... again thanks for the memories. John 2000

john2000

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »
Kent St comes off Wrentham St, and there used tobe swimingbaths in kent St, I only went once, my swiming baths were on the Mosley Rd
I can see a large building ( old ) that maybe the swiming baths in Kent St, at the bottom of Wrentham St and Lower Essex St there was two girls who lived there, I went out with one for a short time, I can still see their house even now after 50 years, even Andy Capp was asking if there were any old photos of Balsall Heath, and I think you've made a great start showing us how it was back then, .... great photos.....John 2000

john2000

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 12:55:22 PM »
Kent St comes off Wrentham St, and there used tobe swimingbaths in kent St, I only went once, my swiming baths were on the Mosley Rd
I can see a large building ( old ) that maybe the swiming baths in Kent St, at the bottom of Wrentham St and Lower Essex St there was two girls who lived there, I went out with one for a short time, I can still see their house even now after 50 years, even Andy Capp was asking if there were any old photos of Balsall Heath, and I think you've made a great start showing us how it was back then, .... great photos.....John 2000

Chris93940

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 03:37:47 PM »
It's good that people can benefit from photos stuck in a drawer for over 60 years!
Here's a close up of the end of Kent Street.
On the right wall is what looks like a pub lamp.

I wish that people would write on the back of photographs, subject & date!
A classic was my mom writing on the back of a photo   'same place as other one'
I wonder what was written on the back of the other photo!

I have a Victorian album full of ancestors with no clue to who they are! It’s very sad.
So please write on the back of your photos. You know who & where it is, but future generations will not.

john2000

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
Hi"Everyone, this is a shot in the dark,....does anyone know where Benacre St is/was.? looking for the Sargant family that lived there around 1900-1940 +/- ........any help would be helpfull,    John 2000 ???

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy