Author Topic: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947  (Read 47878 times)

Chris93940

Re: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »
Hi John2000,

Attached part of an old map circa 1900, showing Benacre street.

john2000

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 08:33:28 AM »
Many thanks Andy, its just what I was looking for, a great help to me... thanks again....... John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 08:37:47 AM »
Just re- read what I had writen, Sorry Andy, the meassage is ment for Chris93940.............John 2000 :-[

john2000

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
Hi"Chris93940, ( I got it right this time  :-[ )the map you showed me was ideal and it gave all the information I wanted,  from the same map would you have the area of Balsall Heath Rd and that area, you may or may not know that all the area of Balsall Heath has been whiped of the face of the earth, and its just open spaces now , all we have now are memories of what it was once like, and because most of us are not even in the uk, its hard to find any maps or info ( the earth map is great, but it only shows what is there now ) but there are still some reminders like the name of the streets, which in our minds eye we still run down ( never used to walk,) we had to run because if the guy got hold of us he would kick our backside  :D
I remember when I was small, I used to run down our street ( Cox St West) and run past the shop that was owned by the Deaken family, well, as I could run fast, I used to run past the shop, and at the same time grab an apple, and I was gone. well, one day I ran down the street grabed an apple, then a hand grabed me, I remember the fear in my heart, as I was put down in the cellor with a big black dog ( it was barking at me all the time) and me being so little and he being so big, put the fear of christ into me.
any way my mom came down to the shop, paid for the apple(s) and that was that, but I never did it again, ......... you learn fast...John 2000 ;D

Chris93940

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »
Hi John 2000
Here is part of the map showing Balsall Heath Road.
It is scanned from a 26 inch square Kelly’s Directory map that my Mom saved from oblivion by pasting it on a sheet of rolled brown paper that I think must have been left over from the Jack & Jill poem! It's a bit of a handfull to get under the scanner!
As you can see from the scan, parts of it are missing from the old folds.
Never the less, it is a fascinating map as it shows a long gone Birmingham.
The City Boundary is dated July 28th 1891, so this dates the map.

Great story about the apple! Can you imagine what would happen today if a shopkeeper did the same thing?

Our family left Brum in 1957 just as the demolition was taking place.
I just remember the trams.
We had a pair of old Birmingham wooden tram seats in the garden for twenty years.
I still visit Brum on business but it has changed twice in my lifetime.
I used to be able to navigate around the City as a nine year old, but now, no chance!

Chris 93940

Langstraat

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 09:46:54 PM »
The picture certainly looks like Lower Essex Street to me; If it is then the 'Modern' Stella building became Weather Oak Press; I worked there from 1973-83. I don't recognise the houses running across the bottom they may have been demolished before I worked there. I think the pub opposite was the White Lion.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Chris93940

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 03:55:13 PM »
Hi Langstraat.

Thank you for the nfo on the Stella building & White Lion.
I wonder if anything remains now?
A trip with camera is required I think!

Chris 93940

Langstraat

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 04:56:10 PM »
I visited Brum last February and went up Lower Essex Street the building which I knew as Weatheroak press was there as was the pub opposite. Its changed its name.  I understand it is frequented by those of weak wrist muscles. I'm still not 100% sure about the photo being Lower Essex Street the picture shows much older cars than you'd expect from a concrete constructed building.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Chris93940

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 07:42:58 PM »
Hi Langstraat
Thanks for the info and the warning!

The concrete building is typical of the 1930's. Loosely Art Deco.
I must go look! 

Langstraat

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 11:55:32 PM »
Chris,

I went to Lower Essex Street today and took some pictures of the old Weatheroak Press building which I referred to earlier. Although similar they are different buildings. So I think you can cross that street off your list.
The pub opposite which I thought was the White Lion is now a 'Shirt lifter' allegedly. The Fox.

RodB

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »
From a 1940's Kelly's

Have you considered the building may have been damaged in wartime and rebuilt? I do not know that this happened, but it may possibly explain differences
Birmingham History Webring http://www.birminghamhistory.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy