Author Topic: Bullring Photos  (Read 4506 times)

willb

Bullring Photos
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi, folks,

I'm currently doing some work for ixia, a public art organisation based in the Custard Factory, and we are engaged in discussions about public art in Birmingham and beyond. One of the pieces we are discussing is the Bull in the Bullring, and our discussions turned to the public response to the vandalism of the Bull in 2005, when people left flowers and poems for the damaged sculpture.

So this is my question: does anybody have any photos of the "offerings" made to the Bull in the wake of the vandalism? If so, I'd be delighted if you got in touch.

Thanks and best wishes,
Will Buckingham

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Bullring Photos
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
willb

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry but I am personally unable to help you with your request others on this site may be able to do so.

Personally I think a bigger act of vandalism was perpetrated by the developers when they threw the original bull from the wall of the old Bull Ring Centre into a skip. I didn't see any flowers or poems for that bull.

I think it shows exactly how Birmingham Council thinks about our heritage, if its old get rid of it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

willb

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, Phil. Much appreciated. I don't remember the old bull - it was a bit before my time in Birmingham.
W

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »
hi willb and welcome to b/forum i think you will find that some folk will have what pics you need if you look up our Andy cap he may be able to help you but good luck pleas come back on the forum and gives more details on what your up to  thanks Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

willb

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »
Thanks to you as well, Roy.
A bit more information. Ixia is an organisation that brings together artists, policy-makers, academics and the like to talk about what public art is, what its value is, and which direction it might go in. We are currently trying to get some material together for use within the thinktank to get discussions going about the range of responses there are to public art. There is something intriguing about the events surrounding the vandalism of the bull in the Bullring, and the very strong public response. Ideally, we'd love to have access to some photographs, if anybody has them, of the flowers etc. after the vandalism incident. They would be only used internally, to get discussions going, and so wouldn't be published.
Thanks,
Will

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »
Hello again willb

As I say although I have many photo's of the Bull Ring,  they are all of earlier days. Being of the old guard. although having nothing against this latest reincarnation of the Bull Ring I am not what you would describe as a fan.

Why do you find the act of vandalism perpetrated on the bull intriguing?  When anything that is left out in the open unprotected is treated in the same fashion. The strong public response was fed by the media reaction. Its only a pity we do not see this type of media response every time a bus shelter or building is vandalised.

All you are doing is compounding the issue, why don't you take a walk around the streets of Birmingham and pick on one of the many hundreds of acts of vandalism the occur in a week. Investigate and discuss these issues, it would be of more value.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

willb

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
Hi, Phil,

Thanks for getting back to me. I should point out that it is not so much the vandalism that seems "intriguing" (the sentence I wrote read somewhat badly, on reflection!) but the public response, and what I was really looking to see was whether anybody had any documentary evidence of this response. So this is a fairly specific question and appeal for help, rather than a statement of any position on the extent of vandalism in Brum, the virtues of the old bullring vs. the new bullring, or anything like that.

Best wishes,

Will

Telstar

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
Hi Willb, welcome to the forum. I hope you get a good response to your search for photos and info. The history section of the forum seems to be frequented by the more senior of society and some mightn't, I said might't, be too clued in with your reasons for bothering to gather the information you seek. To pardon the pun.... They might think it's a load of old bull.....

I can see why you would want to be able to guage public reaction to modern art and sculpture, and why this would be of some value to you.... Good luck with your search..... 
The truth always prevails.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy