Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744968 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1892 on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »
Hi Phil, Nechellite's, and all

I have been having a look around for anything to do with old Nechells and I came across an article written by a Catherine OFlynn, I then recognize the surname was a connection to a old paper shop on Nechells park road between Cattell's grove and Cheatham street. after looking in to the part where she state's filming of Gangsters TV seares. which was made  between the year's 1975/78 I believe, as I have left Nechells by then. the part that was filmed is a car chase the part is shot on Nechells park road. as the one car turns into old Stella street and the range rover turns into Stuart st. this starts at 3 Min's and 15 seconds into the film also it appears to been filmed in Aston I think the streets are Aston hall rd and Sutherland street also Montague street/waterworks street. as for the container base I do not know?

watch out for the old horse and cart on Nechells park road and the children in the playground of the new st Clements school. it made my eyes well up a bit.

here is the link to Catherine OFlynn statement www.arts-co.com/assets/pdfs/CatherineOFlynn.pdf

here the link to the film www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfEeHNz2SI&feature=related
 I hope you enjoy it I have
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Steve

« Reply #1893 on: September 04, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »
That's exciting! I see they were underneath Spag Junction.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1894 on: September 04, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Pudding

I think I remember this young lady a year or so ago on another forum asking for help in trying to name some of the street (the less obvious ones) used in this car chase.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1895 on: September 04, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
Hello Pud the Container Base was P&O situated on the College Rd past the Boars Head on the right just before the Canal.Dek

briancorfield

« Reply #1896 on: September 05, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
I had 2 pals lived in a little cul-de-sac off Chattaway St, Lenny and Alan Pittaway. I think Alan went to Oz, but lost touch with them when I joined the RN. We sometimes used the cafe on the corner of Chattaway St and Long Acre.
  I used to work a Saturday morning now and then in the woodyard splitting beams of wood so they'd fit in the circular saw. Alot of women worked on mechanical choppers making kindling. They put the bits of wood into a cut down ostermilk tin to make a bundle & tied them up, with a laccy band.

+brian corfield 31 chattaway st i was also pals with alan/lenny also alan/tony yates roy/rita harris colin ward trevor jones fred randle  etc i worked at veritys

Steve

« Reply #1897 on: September 06, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
Hi Brian, I worked in the drilling & tapping shop at Verity's also did fly press and spot welding. Worked there from easter to end of August 1960. The Foreman was Steve Green.
  Did you know the Benton's in Cook St? No. 31 I think.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

pudding

« Reply #1898 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
Hi all can anyone locate where in Nechells photo of the trolley bus is?

vauxonion

« Reply #1899 on: September 09, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »
Hello Pud it could be right at the top of Bloomsbury St with the Turks Head just out of shot.Just my opinion though. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1900 on: September 09, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
pudding

As you know trolley buses only ran the one route in Nechells for any length of time. So its somewhere along the Nechells Park Rd , Bloomsbury St, Great Lister St route . Its the curve in the track that is throwing me I thought it might be the Great Lister St - Dartmouth St junction but it doesn't look like it. I'm afraid I'm stumped for now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1901 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »
Hi Pud I have looked at the photo again and revised my view.I now believe it is coming from town and is at the bottom end of Gt Lister St just before turning into Bloomsbury St. Your bus would be where this photo was taken. Dek

pudding

« Reply #1902 on: September 11, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
Hi Dek, Phil, and all so the trolley bus, in post #1899, is in Bloomsbury street and to the right side of the photo is the Turks head pub

in this photo of the Turks head bloomsbury it would be the left side of the said pub

pud

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy