Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744940 times)

Shirley S

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1914 on: September 13, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
Hi all

thank you so much for the warm welcome, the information and the photographs, the one on St Clements road brought a tear to my eye.  My Granddad, Tom Granger was a lovely kind man and I can just about remember what he looked like.  He was a short man, very dark hair and eyes and used to drink his tea from a saucer to cool it.  He always got up at 6.00am and made tea for himself and my Nan Flo.  They had three children, the eldest Roy, who has sadly passed away, my mother Edna and a younger brother who is still living. 

I think Granddad was a French Polisher but also made beautiful furniture and a dolls house for me as a young girl.

I will try to find out more about "little nan" although my father reminded me she was tall, and the shop.

Thank you again, I will keep in touch and hope I can help someone else as you have helped me

Kind Regards

Shirley

pudding

« Reply #1915 on: September 20, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
Hi all does anyone have a better picture of the old BRS depot than the ones I am posting

1...is looking across open land after the house were demolish from Charles Arther street

2...is looking from Rocky lane up Walter street.

3...is looking from Rocky lane railway bridge toward Thimble mill lane the depot is on the right side of the picture, has now become Roadline transport

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

sbaxter

« Reply #1916 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
hi all,

New to all this and i am trying to find some info and pictures about nechells park road if anyone can e mail me them?.
My great grandparents used to be the stewards of NECHELLS CONSERVATIVE CLUB William beardsmore and ellen beardsmore roughly from 1937 - 1946 would love to no if anyone has any more pics than the one i googled and or if the building is still there?? my mum also attended eliot school not far from there her name is JEAN ELLEN BEARDSMORE.

PLEASE E MAIL ME IF ANYONE CAN HELP      many thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1917 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
Hi sbaxter,

Welcome to the forum, if you care to delve deep into this thread you will find many photos of Nechells Park Rd. In fact if you look at the photo index it will give you the post number of most of them.

Concerning The Nechells Conservative Club, do you mean the one that was on Vauxhall Rd and moved over to Revsby Walk in the 60's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peterorbrad

« Reply #1918 on: October 15, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »
never knew there was a site like this at 62 to see photos of saltley as it was is so emotional ,thank you ,are there any photos of
goodrick street where i lived or my old school loxton street?

vauxonion

« Reply #1919 on: October 15, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
never knew there was a site like this at 62 to see photos of saltley as it was is so emotional ,thank you ,are there any photos of
goodrick street where i lived or my old school loxton street?

Hello Peter Welcome I lived up the Vauxhall Rd but I used to play darts for the Station till they knocked it down the it was up to the Dartmouth Arms.I was one of the first lads to use the then new Nechells Community Centre on Melvina Rd which is still there and in use not as a youth club though. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1920 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum, glad you like the site. Here is a photo of Loxton Street to make a start. Not a school that I went to, but I did go there to an after school club for a while when I was about 10.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1921 on: October 15, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
Peter

Here are a few photos of Goodrick Street as well.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1922 on: October 16, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
Hi Peter,Dec and Phil, found this photo of the Station pub on the corner of Goodrick street and Saltley road taken from the corner of Gt Francis street before it disappeared and replaced by Melvina road

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1923 on: October 16, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »
Pudding

Great photo, I have loads of that corner that was replaced by that big traffic island, but none of the show the Station pub, well not as well as yours does.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1924 on: October 16, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Great photo Pud  no sign of Melvina but all the buildings on that side have gone I would say the middle 50s.Loved the Station it was the first pub I ever went in.Thanks for posting.Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy