Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745062 times)

Lumpy

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2112 on: February 02, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
Phil, Sorry ignore that last comment! Der!
Elaine

vauxonion

« Reply #2113 on: February 02, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »
Yep Pud nice photo ( it,s been shown on Faceboook over the last week )  but I was too hungry to walk that far I used the one one the corner of Erskine St and Dollman St plus I loved to play on the Pinball machines.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2114 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »
Pudding & Dek

The only time I ever used Les's cafe was to fetch a bacon & egg sandwich for tea when I worked over until 10.p.m at the factory I worked at in Inkerman st, A 14 hour day, they wouldn't allow that today.

I did use the cafe at the other end of Dollman St and played on the machines in there but it was mostly because I lusted after the young girl that worked there. I finally got a date with her the evening before she left to go off somewhere working in the NAAFI and I never saw her again.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lumpy

« Reply #2115 on: February 02, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
Hi Phil,
Am I allowed to post photos with people on them? I have some photos of the flats and the back yard, however, I am in them!
Elaine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2116 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
Elaine

You are allowed to post whatever photos you like as long as they are suitable for viewing by mixed company and children. If the people in them knew they were being photographed then there is no reason why you should not post them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2117 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
Hi Phil, and all, here's a photo of the newly opened Municipal Bank (T S B) in Revesby Walk 1963, I was wondering if it was or still is at the top end of the walk by the social club? also I would like to know what is or was the large old building is in the background? any ideas

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2118 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
Pudding,
The bank was at the other end of the row of shops to the Conservative Club. The building you can see to the right was in  Newdwgate St and must have been the side of the old Co-op buildings.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #2119 on: February 03, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Yes Phil you are right my friend this would be the building in question I believe.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2120 on: February 03, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »
I don't know if I have ever told this story on here but seeing the photo of that bank brought this to mind.

Anybody who knows Nechells will be able to follow where I am talking about, but if you don’t know the area it doesn’t matter because it could be any similar street in Birmingham.

I used to go to a party some Saturday nights in the 60’s, these parties were in a flat above a bank in the local shopping precinct Revsby Walk, Nechells. I don’t think I ever knew the young girl that held these parties all I know is the price of admission was a 7 pint Bumper Party Can.

On arrival we usually found the kitchen was awash with the residue of many previous can openings. The usual method of opening was after the can had been danced around the living room to the strains of the Beatles, Stones or Dave Clarke 5 for about 10 minutes on the way in, was to attack it with a hammer and screwdriver.

After piercing the top of the can in two places after waiting for the eruption to finish the usual practice was to then hold it over a glass while the beer dribbled out. Rather like trying to get the milky liquid out of a coconut. Not being much of a beer drinker I used to have spirited away in my pocket (pardon the pun) a half bottle of Johnny walker or Lambs Navy.

The one Saturday night I had just settled on the armrest of an armchair and started chatting to this young lady who I thought must be Dusty Springfield’s younger sister as I was just telling her how much she looked like her older sister. When this bloke crossed the room and kicked the record player in the air. Strange I thought, well he probably doesn’t like Gerry & the Pacemakers.

Next thing I heard he was screaming “what the hell is going on here, you can all get out” Apparently it was the father of the girl holding the party, and she had told him that she was having three or four friends around. I don’t know how many people there were packed into that two bedroom flat, but all I know is that they seemed to creep out of every nook and cranny of it as the flat emptied.

I think Dusty’s sister and I finished the night at the Ashted Hamlet, and I never got my 7 pint bumper can back.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

amanda wright

« Reply #2121 on: February 09, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
Hi,
Ive just found this site today,looks great.
I'm researching the Stour street area of Birmingham, where my Grandparents lived back in the 1920's.
Amanda

vauxonion

« Reply #2122 on: February 09, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
Hello Amada welcome I don,t recall a Stour St In Nechells I have looked in the A-Z and I have found it of Spring Hill Ladywood. Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy