Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745448 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2189 on: February 21, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
Pudding

I have no trouble with accepting Inkerman St, Alma Crescent and Cathcart St for their connection to the Crimean War there are also others scattered across Birmingham Varna Rd and Raglan Rd to name a couple. After saying that after a quick search I can find no mention of Adelaide in connection of the Crimean War.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #2190 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
If I recall correctly Adelaide was queen at the time the road was cut .
Erskine was a famous General in the Crimea.
We still had a Adelaide Terrace down the hill until demolition.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2191 on: February 21, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
Dek

Although I can find several Erskine's in the British army I can't find any that had anything to do with the Crimean War.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sandra rimell

« Reply #2192 on: February 25, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
It was good to read your post.  I lived for 17 years on Nechells Park Road next to the Co-Op and by Bullivants.  I went to Elliot Street School, and my first job was the hairdresser opposite our pub. I left to get married when I was 21 then went back after I split up with my husband - back to the Soldiers Return Pub.  We left when my mother was taken ill due to loosing my brother, we then moved to Perry Barr just off the Walsall Road.
I am so glad to find this site.  I am currently trying to get information regarding St Andrews Church at Bordesley as I was born in Tilton Road and am trying to find out details of this area. My sister was married at this Church and I think I may have been Christened there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2193 on: February 25, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »
Hi Sandra

A very big welcome to our forum, I believe you can see the records for St Andrews Christenings, Weddings and Deaths at Birmingham Central Library and they hold the records on micro-file for 1844 to 1981. I'm not to sure but I think the old church was recently demolished and a new one built in its place.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #2194 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
Hi Sandra, welcome to the forum, On page 196, you will find a smashing photo of the Co Op in Nechells Park Road, and on page 197 there is a lovely photo of your old pub "The Soldiers Return "  both put on by Pudding, I lived in Aston Church Road, and also went to Eliot Street, and spent all my working life at "LH Newton Co Ltd"  My late friends father owned Griffiths butcher shop, later bought by the late Peter Greenaway that owned Bullivants drapery store, all buildings are listed, but have changed use in the past few years.

Lumpy

« Reply #2195 on: February 27, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
These are the flats we lived in! I have never seen them actually being built before! I have recently contacted someone from here who has put in touch with an old friend.  I love this site.  Phil, I am having trouble uploading a photo....I can't wait to get them on here. I need to learn how to alter the size as it's saying It's too big a file :(
Elaine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2196 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
Lumpy

Try this,

First you most ensure that the image you want to post is less than 80K in size. To do this I would recommend  http://www.webresizer.com/ this is an easy and simple site to use and makes short work of resizing your photos.

This is as simple as I can make, I hope you are able to follow it. The thing is practice until you get it right. There is no need to submit anything until you get it right. Just check the preview button and if it’s not right then don’t submit it.

When you have finished your text message scroll the screen down to where it says attachments and other options.

Click the box with your left mouse button this will bring up another screen with a browse button click it with your left mouse button.

This will open a screen that allows you to browse through your own computer files to find your photo you want to post.

Once you have found it click on the photo you want to upload and click on open on the bottom right of the browser screen.

This will put the photo file in the first browser box, if that the only photo you want to upload click on open to the right of the manage attachment screen. If you want to upload more than one photo repeat the process with the second browse button that will appear under the first one.

When you have clicked the upload button return to the post screen and click the post button and this should complete your upload.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lumpy

« Reply #2197 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
This is me and my Brother outside our flat in in Little Hall Road, opposite The Communtity Centre. Around 1962.
Elaine

Lumpy

« Reply #2198 on: February 28, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
This one is me with my 2 Brothers outside St Matthews church where we were Christened :)
Elaine

jaykay

« Reply #2199 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »
Lovely photos Elaine, I used to walk past St. Mathews every day of my life when I lived in Cromwell Street,1940-53.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy