Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745127 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2277 on: March 28, 2012, 08:41:42 AM »
Hi Phil and all

Phil sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell I thought you maybe having a break from the forum for a few days
nice to see you back to norm and posting again.

Phil came across this photo of the old Doctors house on Ashted Row, in colour I wonder if the ford Mk2 zephyr car is Dr tighe's
I think the photo must have been taken in the late 50's as you know they moved to greenbank house in 1960

pud 

Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2278 on: March 28, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
Pudding

Yes thanks I am feeling much better, as to the ownership of the Zephyr I couldn't say, but I would have thought Dr Tighe would have gone for a more conservative colour.

The house itself was marvellous, I went inside when he had moved out and it was derelict shortly before demolition. At the rear was a grand entrance hall with a staircase that split in two directions to hallways either side.

At the top of the staircase was a boarded off door that wasn't obvious at first glance, when it was opened up revealed a large room that was obviously built as a ballroom/receiving room. Sometime prior to the inception of the NHS it had been converted to an operating theatre, as like many other doctors of his era Dr Tighe was also a surgeon.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2279 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
Phil

this photo of Gt Brook st houses by Phylis Nicklin seems to be the same type and style as the houses on Ashted Row?

what I can't make out is the factory on Vauxhall rd? do you know the name of the company and what they made?

as the only way I got around these older roads and streets was in a pushchair was Heneage st the same?

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2280 on: March 28, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Hi pudding

At the time of that photo, I think the factory opposite the bottom of Great Brook St was William king (Birmingham) Ltd Pattern Makers. I think Ashted Row and great Brook St were the only streets in the locality with grand houses. The others were typical terraced street houses and back to backs. It really was a jumbled mixture of every type of housing you could imagine.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #2281 on: March 28, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
Hi  - I remember that building in 50/60's as Guy's Brewery were we used to buy our ginger beer.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2282 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
Blane

I thought Guys bottling plant was inside Newdegate Street?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lumpy

« Reply #2283 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
Phil
Wow! Dr Tighe was our Doctor!!!  I remember the name well.
You will be pleased to know that since joining this forum, I am planning a trip with my Sister to Birmingham to show her around where I was born.
I have so enjoyed hearing names that I recognise and it had me get all the old photograph albums out to see what we had. I'm glad I was able to post a few.
Glad you are feeling better :)
Elaine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2284 on: March 28, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
Elaine

Dr Tighe wasn't my family doctor although I did see him a couple of times at the health centre after all the doctors from Ashted Row moved there. my doctor was Dr O Keefe at least I think that was his name.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2285 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
Elaine

I forgot to mention when you come to Birmingham to show your sister where you were born, I don't think you will find a lot of your old haunts still about. Nechells is almost unrecognisable now, as there are very few landmarks from the old days left,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lumpy

« Reply #2286 on: March 28, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Phil
Yes, I realise that. I did actually go back with my Mom and Dad about 10 years ago. I want to actually 'walk around the block' as we used to say. It's stirred up allsorts of memories for me. May I'm having that 'mid life crisis' they all talk about!!!
Thanks anyway and thank you for your help and wonderful pictures :)
Elaine

vauxonion

« Reply #2287 on: March 28, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
Blanes right it is "Guys" there was no entrance in Vauxall Rd just Frontage there was an entrance in Newdigate St but the lorries drove into the building in Spooner St. Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy