Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745129 times)

Telstar

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »
Great photo's, the Adderley Inn is still there as far as I know? That's the No 8 bus stop outside in the photo. It's across the road at the bottom of Duddeston Mill Rd. I used to get the bus on the other side of the road with my mom, when we used to go visiting my aunt and cousins in Sydenham Rd, Small Heath. We got off on The Golden Hillock Rd and walked down Anderton Rd or got off on the Walford Rd and walked back.

There was a great chipper beside The Manor Arms, I think it was Bill's. It was spotless and he always wore a white coat. The one across the road beside Taylor's Newsagent, was the Greeks, a little run down and not really that good. Though they were very nice people... The chemist's shop was on the corner of Dollman St and Duddeston Mill Rd. In all the time I lived there it was painted in red and was also always well kept and spotlessly clean....
The truth always prevails.....

AnnRNR

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
Hi
The Railway Club was a place. That railway workers drank  Name suggesting is.  .  Bingo !!!!  found a pub my dad drank in

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »
Telstar

Which chippy is this then?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »
Ann

It wasn't just the railway workers that drank there, although my stepfather was a railway worker all his life. He worked at New St as a shunter. He played snooker at the club occasionally, but he wasn't keen on the club, but I liked it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Telstar

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
phil, that looks like the Greeks. Isn't that Taylor's Newsagent's before it?

There was a Newsagent on the same side as The Manor Arms but down the Mill at the other end before Devon St? I can't think of it's name? Everett's was another one, which was over the bridge on the Mill on the right in the row of shops before The Rocket?

I remember Taylor's, because all the young kid's at the time were impressed with this old bloke with a limp because he'd been run over by a tank in the war and survived? He was a couple of shops down from the chemist, then the chipper. It was owned by an old grey haired couple who we as kids knew them to be Greeks? They were nice as they used to give us scratchins and throw a few chips in, if we hadn't any money.....

Telstar

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 10:48:54 PM »
Ann and phil, did you never drink in The Midland Tavern? I'm sure it was still there in July when I went down there?...... I was at a few bands in The Railway and New Years Eve was a big night there. Mind you most weekends were big in it's hey day?

AnnRNR

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »
Hi Phil  and Telstar

Can I ask how old you are. My mom was born in 41, so some things i ask her  she dont know or I am on secondary information.  Only one side of her family was  originaly from brum The Yendalls, Smiths was from Worcs and ner maternal side are Black Country.

Ann

Telstar

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
Hi Ann, I'm 51 today! 7th November...... I lived in Dollman St from 1961 to 1972. My older brothers were 8 years and 3 years older than me and my sister 7 years. They used to drink in the Ashted Hamlet back in the 60's and up town....

AnnRNR

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
Telstar 1957
Happy birthday for yesterday.  I actually was brought up in William Street Lozells until 67 (was born 64) then we moved to Erdington.  My eldest brother is the same age as you and was always at my nan and grandads 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »
Ann

I was born in 1947 which makes me 61 though I feel 81. Lived in Nechells on and off between 1953 and 1968. First in Francis St and then in Inkerman  St.

Telstar

What was your oldest brothers name, although he was a couple of years younger than me its possible that I knew him. I never drank in the Midland, my sister who worked next door to the pub did occasionally. It is still open but has got a very bad reputation. There was a shooting there in the middle of the night last year

I used to get down the Railway Club most weekends in 65,66, & 67. Friday nights were Bingo nights. I used to leave the latest girlfriend playing bingo and go and play snooker with the lads.

Saturday nights were for dancing, live groups no disco's in those days. I have seen the concert hall packed to the rafters, and not the slightest sign of trouble and not a bouncer in sight.

Did you ever get to a dance at the conservative club in Revsby Walk. I didn't rate it too much myself. The atmosphere was all wrong. Perhaps it was just me and I didn't like being in a conservative club.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Telstar

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
Hi Ann, are you 44? My Aunt Margaret lived in Lozells from about 53 till the end of the 70's. I used to visit her in the 60's with my mom. I'll ask my mom for their address, you might know them. They were Vernon's? My cousins were Gregory and Peter?

This is quite a good website, Ann. I only joined the 19th of October, but have already made a few friends. One woman emails me as she grew up in the same yard as me in Balsall Heath. She knew my mother and eldest brother really well.... She is sending me some photos of the yard and houses I was born in.... It'll be interesting to see after 47 years.... Keep posting Ann, you'll get into it....

Phil, my brothers name was Terry Whitehouse and he was born in 49. My sister's name is Brenda. They drank in The Hamlet at weekends. They were a very nice crowd, nicely turned out, who liked a good time, a drink a party and a dance, and not an ounce of trouble.

Terry drank in both the bar and the lounge. Mainly the lounge if there was women with him.... Some of their crowd were Linda Whitehouse, Sandra Glen, Christine Collier, Margaret Loveland, Brenda Whitehouse, Mick Talbot and Colin Talbot, Ian Purden, Terry Whitehouse, David Coleman and his gorgeous, sexy sister Jacky, from top a Duddeston Mill, Christopher ? (Chris) from top a Cato St. Lesley Crawford, Joan Talbot etc.

My brother was a good looking guy and there was a lot of girls around all the time... I'm 8 years younger, but they all came to our house and I still know alot of them today... They were all mates.... My other brother Martin was another Handsome Divil, though he's been married 4 times....

I know The Conservative Club you mentioned, though I think I was only in it once. I'd forgotten about that place....  It was a little bit too dry and stiff for me. I like a knees up and a laugh....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy