Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157043 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
down memory lane in birmingham
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
this thread is for you to put your memories of Birmingham your childhood what you did your school days your first day at school or work the games you played in the road what you had for Xmas  its about you to share to go back in time your likes and dislikes any thing  that you think that other members might think i did that i remember that   Roy O0 ::)
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
I imagine most of the lads played ''marlies''.  Did you normally play in the gutter on the way to or, more usually back from school?  Did you like to play ''holies'' when you could find a bit of flattish earth?  Did you ever have ''no bullies'' rules as ballbearings were not just easier to throw accurately, but could break a glass marble.   Did you get many ''gobstoppers''?  :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »
my first school was st patricks  i think it was frank street down the road was a mirror factory i think it was called the globe works not sure i was five but on the other side of the road was a bombed out building us kids got in OK but we could not get out that lead to my first whipping at school i was the leader of the pack so it was me that got it off the school and at home this was done in school diner time

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
tramp  i did plus fag cards i used to go out picking the fag packs out of the road and i used to get them from the stare pub turf  bar one woodys players some had cards in them turf i think it was i used to swop and save them

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
this one is for anybody that can remember the fly over just below camphill when it was built and when it was took down and have you got any pics you can post  i went over that on my bike held all the cars up   Roy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
Roy

Camp Hill Flyover was I think it was erected over a weekend in the early 60's around 63 or 64 it was only supposed to be temporary. So when the demolished it some twenty five years or so later, they had made sure they had gotten their money's worth.

The day that it opened, we went over it about 10 times in an old ford popular, we thought it was great. The trouble is you couldn't get any speed up because the queue was that long.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
thats a good start to the thread phil  thanks I'm not sure but i think bikes where bard

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »
Roy

If you are talking about pushbikes, yes I think they were barred. I don't think you were the only one to bike it though. I even heard of the occasional pedestrian taking a stroll over.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
Well that F/O is another bit of brum which like the 60s B/Ring went up and came down without me (mercifully in the latter case) ever seeing it.  The difference with Camp Hill is that I knew that area well in the late 40s and most of the 50s... but had never heard of that F/O until right now. :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
tramp

You didn't miss much in either case, I think the flyover was a bit of a cut price gimmick that was acquired cheap. I don't think it ever made a lot of difference to the traffic and certainly never cured the traffic jams at Camp Hill or Sandy Lane Kingston Hill.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »
did any one ever go on a tram from brum to stocklandgreen thinks its called it went up Slade road  us kids had been given a shilling(5p) five of us we all had new boots from the mail we was So posh new boots you could hear us a mile away and a shilling to spend and i remember that we got on the tram did not know where it was going it was a day out and thats all that matters we got has far has the tram was going and it was by a park and that was OK we got a bag full of conkers  when we got back into brum town and it was time to get off the tram we was on the top deck and the paper bag split and all the conkers went all over the place then the driver gave us a big brown bag with string handles just the job five kids on a day out what could be better

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy