Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157031 times)

tramp

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »
Phil,

The photo of the F/O does show it as a bit cheap and not very cheerful - like a ''Mecano set" - I always wanted one of them, and a bike, never had either but finally had some marvellous toys in the army - and they worked, and lasted!  Did any of you have a Mecano set? - if so, what things did you make with it?

shardeen

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »
hello Roy, i worked for i dont remember how long at the globe factory, the name was Perry (overmantle) ltd i think. i was making mirrors. 

shardeen

Telstar

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 03:12:08 AM »
Very good pics of the Camp Hill flyover ...... It used to be black or very dark brown if I remember .... maybe not ...... I don't remember it that colour .......

There used to be a nightclub in the seventies, just somewhere there in the second photo, called The Daddy Long Legs ...... It used to have a big spiders web on the wall outside ..... It was more a reggae club, cause that's all they seemed to play .....

Not that I minded ..... it was much smoochier and sexier to dance the slow sets to, with more going on in the dance between you and the girl, with reggae music ..... more so than with the slow ballad with rock 'n ' roll .....

Though I love Rock ' n ' Roll, too ....!    Always will ..... !     Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll ......!
The truth always prevails.....

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 09:02:19 AM »
hi shardeen and welcome to b.f can you remember the year that you was working there  this was in the late 40 for me or early 50s  when i was at that school up the road
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Langstraat

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
Telstar, re: Fly over.
 I seem to remember it being green when first erected. It was built by a local firm Gallaghers at Bordesly. I think it was erected over a Bank Holiday weekend by the Royal Engineers although I've not been able 'toogooglemuch' about it to confirm.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

shardeen

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
hello again Roy, sorry i cant remember the years i was there, but i think  around 1958-62 as i was only there a few weeks (as per usual for me in them days!!!)  thank you for your enquiry, we must have a longer chat at some time

by for now   shardeen

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 12:23:03 PM »
The Dolls Club that later became Daddy Long Legs was on the left corner as you turned on to the Coventry Rd off Deritend High St alongside the flyover and just past the Lamp public House.

I never actually went inside the club, although I dated one of the girls from the Dolls club for a while. Her stage name was "Little Sheba". Anna wherever you are now. Those were wonderful times.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
I was a fairly frequent visitor to the then Dolls Club and others in the Handsworth area.  Any visitors to Brum had to be entertained and where better.  I was even on expenses - now you cannot beat that.
I was friendly with one of the girls there, at the Dolls, Monique.  A lady of colour but what colour.  Looks like we both have good memories of those days Phil.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »
 do you remember winters past may be in the 50s up to your knees in snow going to school not being able to go out play time because of heavy snow the sky would be dark you sat in class with your coats on the school milk would have the tops off because it was ice  but you all ways had your school dinner the school never shut not like today

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »
Roy

I remember going for school dinners all though the holiday breaks. we used to go to Chandos rd school for ours. Though that wasn't the school that I attended. I'm not sure if it was an arrangement for just those with the F tickets or it was the same for everyone that wanted to go.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »
hi phil i went to upper highgate street for my free dinners chandos road school if i remember that was by the side of highgate park

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy