Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157052 times)

tramp

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »
Phil,

At Clifton Rd the F ticket was only issued in term time.

Roy,

You're absolutely right, the schools never shut for bad weather, and not a single teacher had a car to get there....I recall the open little milk bottles to combat freezing, and jumping in a star shape (legs & arms apart) to get warm.  
School dinners were never more welcome than in winter.
All the bogs were outside...so most of the girls never went...but they did walk funny..!!

john2000

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
I wish I had gone over it on a bus,.. it would have been like I was flying,,J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
john it was hehe some times the bus would go fast that was good fun if you was on top deck
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
John & Roy

I knew many women and quite a few men who would not use the top deck of a bus on the way back from town because it was too scary. There was one of our drivers that I would not go over it in a lorry with either. He refused to drive in the middle of the flyover and hugged the one side or the other. He frightened the life out of me, I always thought he was going to drive over the side, as it didn't look that strong to me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »
I quite enjoyed the sensation of going over the flyover sitting at the front and on the top deck of a bus.  It was a heady feeling for I had never experienced before travelling at such a height, more or less level with the roofs of adjoining properties, with a look directly down to the road below. It was a sort of a heady and  detached feeling.

john2000

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »
and have noticed the houses and shops seem closer and the road narrower than when we were kids.? ...J2
PS: there was a papershop on the corner before the railway bridge on the right, just as you went onto the Coventry Rd, that guy had a boat, which he kept on the canal, he wanted two hundred ponds for it, so I saved and saved till one day I had the money, went to the shop and the guy has died..and the boat was gone. :'(

tramp

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
....and so you went to Africa to look for it - found the tide had gone out a very long way, and a little more logically, dropped anchor in Holland where you and the boat now live happily ever after.....is this a brief biography John ;D ?

john2000

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »
Tramp.... naa. its the story of my life, I always come too late, or I've missed the boat... :D..J2

tramp

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
John,

I've always very much enjoyed whatever time I spent around boats, starting with rowing at Canon Hill Park...been around parts of the Pacific with Warner, escape drill from a sub, troop transports, sailing in Norway etc, various overnight ferries and a run through Panama Canal, Caribbean cruise, scuba diving and windsurfing, but I've never thought of owning a boat - tell me, what is the attraction of it for you?  One reason I'm seriously asking is because there's a couple of us looking to do something different now that we work less, and want to diversify interests (and get some time away from 'er indoors).

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
I've heard all about you sailor types.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »
any one remember the street party's 1953 all the buntin and tables out in the street kids running up and Down  still got my knife and fork set in the box that i won any body still got the mugs
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy