Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157418 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
Roy

As I remember it, bulls & cows were always getting free and causing havoc in Bradford St. In fact I'm sure that I can remember drovers herding sheep, and cows on foot from nearby country farms as late as the 50's.

I'm sure I can remember them passing along Moseley Rd and down Bradford St to the slaughter house & meat markets. Does anybody else have any memory of this?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
Correct Phil,

I can remember animals driven in Bradford St, but if they 'smelled'' the blood this sometimes drove them wild and you could see a few looking for china shops etc, but generally they were quickly brought back under control - the drovers knew who the 'ring leaders' were (they had rings through their noses).  It wan't a very unusual occurence.  What was rare for an animal to go bersek like Roy's bull - but there was one of those every few months  - I just imagined how quickly they'd have cleared the Rag Market and Bull Ring ,Ha, HA, Ha... O0

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »
Right the last one from me on this topic anyway, and in this case it is the official first vehicle over the flyover on its opening day the 15th of October 1961. I think its the Lord Mayor in his Limo.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2008, 01:29:33 AM »
John,

What momjaz wrote about Waitamata Harbour (Auckland) is really only half the story.  NZ isless than a mile wide on the south edge of this harbour, and guess what, there's another harbour on the other side of NZ! - you'd love it. 

In the same way, just north of the Auckland city limits to the west is the beautiful really black sand beach of Muruwai...and a few miles away on the east coast is a white sand one which is part of a terrific lagoon that is like an elongated 0 with just a small mouth open to the sea almost at one end.  The fishing is fantastic - 4 of us caught over 200 in 7 hours.   The first 5 bites I had all took and they were five different...including 2 rays.  One of the blokes had a smoking shed and after quick gutting they were ''all fired up'', I've never had a day's fishing like that, and all in beautiful sunshine.   

We also caught 4 Blow fish and puffer fish, they're 7-12'', mainly white and have spines that make them extremely poisonous.   The drill when you can see that you've hooked one is to alert everyone to grab canvases/tarps/plastics and machetes and when everyone's ready, you bring it aboard as gently as possible, cover it and kill it, then swab the decks with 20+ buckets of water in case it's poison was ejected.  They are really bad news.  It really was a great day, and we had fish for weeks!!!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
the old midland red i note on one of Phil's pics above that there are two midland red buses they must have been going up the cov road us kids used to call them the posh bus Lady's with there posh coats and shopping baskets and it cost more to go one one of them buses i remember going to lordswood road and at the top there was a midland red bus depot can any one remember that
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »
That's right Roy,

You had to ''have more money than sense'' to go by Midland Red within the BCT area. 

Many of the posh ladies probably lived outside the BCT area off the Warwick or Stratford roads - Solihull, Meriden, Knowle, Dorridge, Henley etc, and they just came in once a month ''slumming it''! ;D

Then from the other side they came from the ''Royal Borough of Sutton Coldfield''.

tramp

jasper14

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
Kia Ora,
back in the late 40s and to mid 50s the only bus on could get to and from Great Barr was a Midland Red, 119 to Scott Arms  118 to Walsall..Around
that time they  brought in the BT.. that if I remember right was a deep Cream
colour,cant for the life of me remember the numbers tho.........

tramp

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »
MomJaz,

BCT -That's right,  Deep Cream and Dark Blue.....there you are, living out in the wilds - more proof that you're not really a brummie  - just a black country (bumpkin) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jasper14

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »
Tramp, I,ll have your guts for garters if you keep that up,  Country Bumpkin be damned I wuz a wel ejecated gel  before I cumbed to bermingum,thats when
the rot set in...............................It wooserer now cos I spake difrint to sum
uthers  oo live er..............

Langstraat

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008, 08:23:27 PM »
Jasper the Corporation Bus 51 ran from town to Walsall; for the extra penny the Midland Red was a more comfortable service with an enclose  deck and velour seats and ash trays. The regular bus service often had soiled seats from work mans overall's which Midland Red discouraged.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

tramp

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2008, 08:35:08 PM »
MumJaz,

Listening to you ''gowin' ona abir abowtit, an't yewz astartin' to sownd loike them stuck up bu*guz what gorron that red wagon  - u no, them posh 'uns wot Roy wuz gowin' ona abir abowtit afore'' ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy