Author Topic: Birmingham Mail Boots  (Read 19640 times)

tramp

Re: Birmingham Mail Boots
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 04:49:33 PM »
Fred,

I was in army in boots at 16; they were second nature after mail boots - they may well have been made by the same company.   I know that Roy's still got a pair of his.   I used sand coloured desert or chukka boots a lot in and after the army, but they seemed to disappear after the 70s - you can still get them in a few places abroad - why not have a shuftie when you go back to Egypt, if you fancy a pair - they're, light, flexible and the only footwear I've found easily wearable without a sock.   O0

I use my construction boots here when things get a bit foul...give 'em a quick douse  and brush in bleach & water, get almost dry in the sun then load on the Kiwi to penetrate!  I'll always be a boots fan.  O0

In the army I was breifly attached to a formerly mounted regiment and presented with a pair that took spurs - great for making space on the dance floor ;D , and really excellent quality boots, made by Herbert Johnstone  - but no nails, steel tips and not a seg in sight!

frederick

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »
i have had Chelsea boots and i have sill got three pairs of work boots one pair still in the box :) the thing now is plastic shoes crocs :o i ware trainer most of the time now as i am permently on holiday 8) O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
in reply to tramp about boots

yes iv still got mine   but the best boots in the world was my docs (doc martins) light water tight sand proof
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
Fred

I've never had a pair of trainers on my feet, I have a loathing of them that I think stems back to baseball boots and pumps. The footwear that said look I'm poor. When we were younger OK I wore BM boots and pumps or whatever, but as soon as I got to 13 or 14 and could earn a few bob myself I never wore anything like them again.

Yes I do know that trainers can cost well over a hundred pounds now. I should know I have bought enough of them for my kids, I just have never wore any.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
Although I've sold thousands of all, and designed many T shirts, I never wear trainers, jeans, T shirts, sun glasses, ''polo'' shirts or baseball caps - they've simply never appealed, in terms of usefulness or aesthetically - they all seem to reflect a sort of disorderly cheap conformity - the easy way to avoid getting decently dressed.  I'm not advocating formality, far from it - I don't wear a jacket 3 times a year, and haven't had a tie on this year.  Neither do I buy ''brands' or spend much on clothes...but I'm always clean and comfortable.

frederick

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »
phil,
traners are expensive :( but the cost to make them is £2,60 a pair WOW the last time i bought traners i was lucky JJB sport had a sale on and i bought four pairs nike robock puma and patrick all for £61 :) so it looks like we are all being riped off :o

frederick

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
tramp,
we all dress the way we feel comfortable i didn't used to dress the way i do but being retierd and when the weathers is nice i feel like i am holiday so i dress like a tidy beach bum 8)

tramp

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
Fred,

I don't blame you one bit - I basically wear the same for the little work I do, as I did when I worked 6-12 hours daily.....and it's also what I wear when I'm reading or on the pc as right now.   I like the comfort of cotton shirts, trousers, socks etc, and good leather shoes.

The only 'normal' times I wear anything different are boots for construction or 'difficult' places. 

rwmcgowan

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »
to tramp,
               still got 2  pairs of desert boots , one pair ultra light leather ,the other pair traditional suede type ,you are right most comfortable , but as you say cant just go out and buy them anymore , oswald and bailey used to be the main outlet years ago. rwm

tramp

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Hi rwm,

You're a lucky man to have those boots - out here they've no idea what they are.

tramp

rwmcgowan

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »
tramp didnt we call them fell boots rwm

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy