Author Topic: Birmingham Mail Boots  (Read 19645 times)

Gwladmab

Re: Birmingham Mail Boots
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2021, 06:37:44 AM »
Boots are in fashion strange isn’t it.
Morning Fred, I don’t think boots have ever gone out of fashion since the early 60’s my brother having a pair of the Jodhper type boots early 60’s. I think the Beatles had that type of boot, made them fashionable. Then I had a pair of Monkey boots late 60’s, I wanted a pair of Doc Martens, They were too expensive. Monkey boots were £2.50 and docs were £5.00 in about 1969.

Since starting work at the age of 15 I’ve never been without a pair of Doc’s or the Jodhper type boots sometimes these days know as Dealer or Market boots. And of course my old faithful wellington boots, which I wear almost every day. I did stop buying Docs about 6 years ago when production went to ? China, they just don’t fit anymore. Although these last few years a few Docs are still made in Northampton, using the original machinery we are led to believe,  looking at £150/200 a pair. I’d like a pair but out of my range which is a pity as I would like to support UK made items.

Gwladmab

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2021, 07:00:54 AM »
The penny has just dropped, those boots the Beatles had were called Chelsea Boots.

Right, wellies on I’m off out, minus 3 this morning with Northeasterly wind 🐑 O0

frederick

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
I had some suede Chelsea boots back in the day.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2021, 11:29:22 AM »
Think I've three pairs of Boots . A pair of Toetectors from working days which took me on to Machine Shops Foundries Forges Steel Mills etc. A pair of walking boots bought when we went to Norway in March 2019 and a metre of snow. And a snazzy pair of Shiny Brown Boots i bought from M&S for about a fiver they were originally price at  about £65 it was the last pair and was told I could not return them !!!
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2021, 07:15:42 PM »
Gwladmab My first pair of Jodhpur boots in the 60's cost cost me £9.19.11 . Although a lot older  I still wear them today , not the same pair obviously . With a good and regular polish you not only preserve the boot , people do notice the shine . The price today is a bit different, like the Levi's I still wear , the first pair I bought 1964 were £4 .19. 11 a bit different today .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Gwladmab

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2021, 07:37:03 PM »
Scipio, I got my first Levi’s after I left school and have still bought Levi’s through the years. Mind you the first pair got nicked off the washing line when we lived on Chelmsley Wood, I suppose I should be glad I wasn’t wearing them at the time, being on Chelmsley. The last pair I bought was about 3 years ago, the material is not as strong as it was. I’ve seen reviews that the material in the Levi’s this last couple of years is very poor, I’d.be interested to hear your views on them?
Gwladmab

Scipio

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2021, 08:53:57 PM »
Gwladmab
                   Funny you should say that I've noticed the difference over the years , back in the 60's you would have to throw them in the bath for a couple of three days . The hot bath was a good idea to mould them to you once you'd jumped in the bath wearing them .
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2021, 10:16:35 AM »
Scipio,
I had a nice comment a day ago about the shoes I am wearing of a women off the men I get the comment from their eyes as they looking down at my shoes, black suede with leather soles complimented by fashionable check trousers. I had my working jeans on yesterday while cutting the lawn. I find some of the jeans that men wear look terrible like mine do.     ;)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2021, 07:22:01 PM »
Scipio,
I had a nice comment a day ago about the shoes I am wearing of a women off the men I get the comment from their eyes as they looking down at my shoes, black suede with leather soles complimented by fashionable check trousers. I had my working jeans on yesterday while cutting the lawn. I find some of the jeans that men wear look terrible like mine do.     ;)

Frederick in the last house my wife worked local to the house ,. Talking to a work colleague my wife mentioned what way I went to work ,  the woman responded by saying I think I've seen him does he wear highly polished boots ? Needless to say the wife said that's him .
Mark Twain

Gwladmab

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
Scipio,
Fred, you are not still wearing those Rupert Bear trousers are you?  8)

Scipio

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2021, 08:23:48 PM »
 O0 O0
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy