Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146808 times)

mickie

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »
I also spent a lot of time at the cinemas when I was a child in the forties and early fifities, cinemas were every where, two movies and a newsreel, previews and sometimes an organ recitle at the break. girls with trays with ice cream and drinks would tour the aisles. Most ot the cinemas seemed to dissappear when tv became popular. I remember going to the Warwick on Stratford rd one winter evening to see White Christmas,  with my mother, and when we came out it was snowing, I think the Warwick is still there but I think they show Bollywood movies.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »
mickie

I don't recall a "Warwick" on Stratford Rd. the only one I can think of was on Westley Road in Acocks Green near the Village. Its still there today, I think its a bowling alley and a Laser Quest (whatever that may be).

Andy

I think John Wayne must have done a lot more than 10 films before Stagecoach. He went back to the 1930's and did one or two silent films. He starred in 142 films and appeared in a lot more as a supporting player.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
HI PHIL
 ANOTHER MATINEE IDOL WAS HOPALONG CASSIDY.
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
HOPALONG CASSIDY

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »
Andy

I know a chap called Billy Boyd, who has got a limp (honestly) and no one calls him Hopalong.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 01:32:23 AM »
Phil and mickie,

There was an ABC cinema on Stratford Rd immediately before, and on the same (i.e. LH) side as the bifurcation at the Mermaid pub - it wasn't called the Warwick, or the Mermaid, but that could well have been the one referred to.  I saw Alec Guinness and Susanah York in "Tunes of Glory" there on my very last trip to brum a very long time ago.  I didn't look at the name of the place, I just recall the ABC logo.

jaykay

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
Was it the Carlton, or the Piccadily ?
There was one on the Warwick Road called the Tyseley.

oznow

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »
HELLO,
I remember seeing my first X film, At the  ROCK  Alumrock Rd, It was TOM JONES staring Albert Finney, It was the early sixties and the lady  in the pay box only let us in, Because she knew my older sister.

I also remember seeing  Alfred Hitchcock's...PSYCHO... At the ODEON  Perry Barr, Chompping away happerly on our Butterkiss popcorn and watered down orange kyorra fruit drink.... Then came the .....SHOWER SCENE.....Thinking... this will be good....Sitting a bit  higher in my seat to try and see over the shower rail.....WELL...What a  FRIGHT.....Thank God most of us only had baths in those days.....

Thats all.. THANK YOU.....OZNOW. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »
jaykay

It could have been the Piccadilly, which was situated on the the Stratford Rd just before the junction with Warwick Rd. Like most in that area it spent its latter years as an Asian cinema. It might be still there for all I know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »
oznow

I remember the Rock and have fond memories, after they demolished the Ashted cinema the Rock was the nearest cheap cinema to take your girlfriend to for a cheap night out during the week. I can even tell you the last film I saw there it was one from the Magnificent Seven series.

I cant tell you what it was about though, because like most of these films it was years later on the box that I got to see it.

You must have lived in a posh area, for most of us the nearest bath was a zinc tub, or at the local public baths, which handily for me was the end of our road when in Francis St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
Yes, "Piccadilly" rings a clear bell.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy