Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146815 times)

tramp

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
The cinema on Ladypool Road between Studley and Alfred Streets was universally called "The Bug 'ut", as eiither they no cleaner or no cleaning materials - or maybe a bit of both but neither was much good.  Was the proper name of this "really hopping"  flea pit, the "Olympia?"

denise

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »
Can anybody tell me the name of the flicks that was in the city centre and run the Sound of Music for what seemed like forever?

I think I also saw Mary Poppins there.

When I was a girl my dad took me to the Warwick?Acocks Green remember seeing West Side Story,Summer Holiday,South Pacific and Doris Day in Calamity Jane,lot's more,can't think of them at the moment.

Remember first hearing the wonderful music of Simon and Garfunkel in the foyer,
was going to see the film The Graduate.Have been a fan ever since.
That was at the Sheldon on the coventry Road,anyone remember that place.?

Just had a thought,was it the Gaumont?

Telstar

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
Saw, Operation Market Garden .... A BRIDGE TO FAR ..... at The Odeon New St on it's release ......

You could sneak in the fire exit at the Odeon if someone inside pushed the bar .....  You came out just beside the screen, which looked a bit odd, when suddenly in the middle of the film, a half a dozen kids seemed to run from the screen towards the seats and try and loose themselves .....

I saw the epic movie, WATERLOO, on it's release at The Gaumont, which was really the only place to see that film .....

Another biggy release at The Gaumont, was ..... STAR WARS ..... another that The Gaumont did justice to ..... I think that one was 1977 ......     Telstar

The truth always prevails.....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:40 PM »
Hi denise

It was indeed the Gaumont cinema, known as the Gaumont Palace when it first opened. The Sounds of Music ran for a 168 week run and was seen by over 2 million people (not me, I still haven't seen it). It was demolished soon after it closed in 1983 and I believe Insurance offices stand on the site now.

I also remember the Sheldon, not that I ever went there, but I remember passing by often.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
So it was the Gaumont?

The building stood on it's own?

Always seemed very posh to me in those days. ;D

denise

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
Thanks for the pics Phil :)

Another great memory is taking my children to see The Wonderful ET at the Bristol Road,we all sat crying :(

Bannion

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
The Gaumont was a regular Sunday haunt of mine as a lad.  Anything to get out of the my house for it seemed so dead on a Sunday.
Would get there for a little after 2pm and have to sit through nearly an hour of organ music until the feature started at 3pm.  Well it was either that or a all round trip on the number 11 bus.

The Sheldon was my local bug hutch when first married and was our occasional visiting hole.  Think there is a small supermarket on the site now - well there was some eighteen years ago.

On the Gaumont.  Closer look at the photo Phil posted - can make out the name Compton and Organ on the poster - Was this Leslie Compton on the organ, can anyone recall?

oznow

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 11:34:07 PM »
HELLO,  Great photo of the  ROCK  Phil, Thank you,  Lots of happy times there,
Use to love to see the coloured photos out side on the display boards, of the movie thay were showing at that time....In side it was quite a flat floor, If someone tall sat in front of you, Then it was hard to see the screen....Mined you.....It was allways a big haze of fog from smoke of Park Drive or Senior Service fags....

If you carried on up Alumrock Rd: , The next CINEMA was the GRAND it closed long before all the other ones did, It was quite small.......Further on up the next one was the CAPITAL just past the PELHAM pub and the next one was at the FOX & GOOSE roundabout, The BEAUFORT,  I remember seeing  SOLDIER BLUE...It was a violent western.

The  ASHTED, Ashted Row,  many a happy Saturday morning spent there, Seeing Jungle Jim and Superman ...Coming out and putting your mac around your shoulders, with one button done up round your neck..... jumping off the steps..... I was never able to fly.....

And the  GAIETY, Colesell St, Seeing  THE YOUNG ONES, Staring SIR CLIFF....Happy Times....

Thats All...THANK YOU....OZNOW.   

Glen

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 01:10:45 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls.

I see Phil has posted several old pics recently.

I wonder if any of you can help me. I'm after pictures of the Gaumont Picture house in Bridge Street, Walsall.  Inside photos, outside photos. Doesn't matter. Anything will be of help.
Also if anyone can tell me a bit about its history (other than it burnt down in about 1972 !!).

Does anyone have any old programmes / bills/ tickets/ etc from the Walsall Pic House you could send me copies of?

Many Thanks for any help.
Glen.

[email protected]

tramp

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 02:11:46 AM »
Glen,

Welcome to the Forum.  You've obviously had a decent look around.  Join in and enjoy yourself - we're a pretty easy going group in the main, so don't be shy about joining in the banter.

Will you tell us a bit about yourself?  Some of us are retired, quite a few, like me are expats, while a good few others live in or very close the epicentre of English culture, invention and great people.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:25 AM »
Hi Glen

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry I have nothing on Wasall at all, Great Barr is as far as I go north with any photo's that I have.

I know very little of the history of Walsall, other than it was well known for its leather work.

Sorry mate, but others on here may be able to help you.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy