Author Topic: rous nous  (Read 5799 times)

kelama

Re: rous nous
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 03:10:11 AM »
Hi Bannion had to look on google earth to remind me  where western road is, Still amazed that all those back to back slums where I ran around as a kid have disappeared altho the cut's still there
....and I'll bet not as stinky as it used to be.

Bannion

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 07:16:49 PM »
A little bit of a story related to that part of the canal.
On the 2nd July, 1927 a Olive Gordon Turner aged 18 years was walking along the towpath with her boyfriend when they met up with a James Joseph Power who lived in Heath Green Road.
Power had previously been a policeman and he allegedly arrested the couple for trespass but said he was willing to let them go for a payment.
Cut along story short it ended up with him striking the boyfriend and abducting Olive.  The next morning she was found drowned in that canal.
Following his trial he was convicted and executed at Winson Green Prison on 31st January, 1928 by Pierrepoint the hangman.
Was more than stinky for Olive Gordon Turner

Langstraat

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 11:52:48 PM »
If they'd only been as swift with justice with Ian Huntley eh? In those days murders were dealt with quickly, unlike today.
My view is that those convicted today of such a serious offence as to be given a life sentence should be given an option to either remain in prison for the rest of their lives and set to work for the benefit of the community or to opt out with a pill. The choice should be given to them. Those that believed that they were innocent could continue with their appeals.  :(
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

wam

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 12:17:39 PM »
Ever heard of the Paragon Hotel? you can find a picture at http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co.uk/uploads/estate/hotels/hotels14394.htm . You might recognise it. You can just about see Highgate park to the right of the picture

joeboy

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 12:02:11 AM »
lived near rowton house in the 40's and 50's .used to think they were just tramps. but as you grow up you learn that ''there but for fortune go you or I''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy