Author Topic: MOSELEY  (Read 70935 times)

planetmalc

Re: Re: Shard End
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
I went to moseley college during the late 40's and early fifties.  Anybody there at that time?

Phil, this post might be better off in the 'MOSELEY' thread, as Moseley College stood at the south-west corner of the Yardley Wood Road / Wake Green Road junction.     However, as I went to Moseley Grammar School in the 50's and 60's (about a quarter-of-a-mile up the road) I can reminisce a little with JOANIDA about this little-mentioned college.     

I used to admire your successors on a regular basis on my way to and from school (and I wasn't the only one! ;D )   -   were your school colours dark blue and yellow (or was that Moseley School of Art)?     I never knew any of the girls who went there, unfortunately, and I think yours is the first-ever query I've ever seen on the 'net concerning the college.      It always seemed to be a thriving institution, packed with pupils, and I was very surprised when it closed down.     I can't remember what the school buildings looked like so I've no idea if they're still there today.     Sorry I can't be of more help. :-[ 
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: MOSELEY
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
Malc

I thought this was Moseley College on the Wake Green Rd, just down from College Rd, it changed to a secondary modern when they did away with Grammar schools and I believe it's what they call an academy now.

Wasn't the school at the junction of Yardley Wood Rd and Wake Green Rd a private girls school?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
Malc

I thought this was Moseley College on the Wake Green Rd, just down from College Rd, it changed to a secondary modern when they did away with Grammar schools and I believe it's what they call an academy now.

Wasn't the school at the junction of Yardley Wood Rd and Wake Green Rd a private girls school?

That's a photo of what became Moseley Grammar School in 1923.     Years before that it was known as Spring Hill College (an ecclesiastical college).

Yes, Moseley Collge was at the Yardley Wood Road / Wake Green Road junction and I think it was a private school.      Quite posh and none of us grammar school toe-rags could get a look-in with the girls! ;D   

Ray Harrison

« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »
I was talking to my wife about Moseley Village today and she had never heard of the private Park . She lived just off the Moseley Rd and born at the Sorrento hospital, I showed it to her on google earth and was amazed. It used to be only locals had keys to the gates or access through their gardens . Does anyone know if that is still the case.
BUD

Phil Davidson

« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »
It used to be only locals had keys to the gates or access through their gardens . Does anyone know if that is still the case.
Here's the answer to your question.
http://www.moseleypark.co.uk

townie

« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
Here's the answer to your question.
http://www.moseleypark.co.uk

It would be nice for you to post this on the forum.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil Davidson

« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »

It would be nice for you to post this on the forum.

I thought that's what I just did, or am I missing / misunderstanding something ?

Ray Harrison

« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »
Thanks Phil D. that just as I imagined it would be ,not much changed there . I have never been in there it seemed like the secret gardens to me and am glad they are looking for the best direction for its future. Thaks again for the info.
BUD

planetmalc

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
I was talking to my wife about Moseley Village today and she had never heard of the private Park . She lived just off the Moseley Rd and born at the Sorrento hospital, I showed it to her on google earth and was amazed. It used to be only locals had keys to the gates or access through their gardens

I think the public get the opportunity to access it when the  Moseley Folk Festival is held there. O0

daverock

« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
My Mom is May from Mays cafe in Tillingham st & she is still with us at the age of 97.

Milesfan

« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
Its a long time ago but did anyone know Ken and Mollie Miles who lived in 29 Queenswood Road, Moseley in 1947 to 1951? I am writing a book and would love to talk to anyone who knew them. Ken Miles was a racing driver who emigrated to America in December 1951.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy