Author Topic: Castle Bromwich airfield  (Read 94322 times)

Steve

Re: Castle Bromwich airfield
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
My G'dad had scrapyards, one, in New John St was where 'planes of all sorts were broken up. Some scrap came from an RAF airfield in Nottinghamshire, Long Eaton perhaps. Some from Castle Brom.
  I think he was well known there as when he had a larger engine fitted into his Alvis Coupe, he was allowed to road test it on the airfield.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

honda 1600

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2012, 06:12:06 AM »
reply to andrew barley was your fathers  name sid barley and did he live on the shard end estate

honda 1600

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
mikanmart  the chipmunk that crashed did not crash on the concrete but crashed on the middle of the airfield on grass i know because i was part of the crash crew i have photos to prove it  the two crew that perished was a airforce officer and afriend of mine we both worked for the same company that serviced the aircraft for the airforce they were air testing the aircraft at the time the aircraft was  wp779   i would like to reply to your comments on the runways but not much time now will reply later

omninan

« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »
there seems to be lots of techincal stuff on here which i cant help with but I do recall going to airshows there in the early 50"s  with my dad who was ex raf . As a child I was absolutly  fascinated by the fact  I saw a double decker bus going inside the back of a plane ! So there must have been some runway there then .unfortunatly the photos have been lost in the mists of time

honda 1600

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
i worked on the airfield in the fifties the only runway they had was tarmac which was 650yrds this was because alex henshaw told them he only needed 500yrds to get a lancaster off the ground the tarmac track that was used for taking spits from the factory for airtesting was used by the oxfords and ansons as a runway i worked for birkett air services which contracting to the raf for maintenance on oxfords ansons and chipmunks i will be glad to supply more info if anybody intrested

Steve

« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
I watched a documentary entitled "Spitfire Sisters" on the Discovery channel, about the ladies of the ATA in WW2. It's very interesting and informative, well worth a watch.
 No doubt it will be repeated a time or three.

GQII

« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
Honda 1600;- Would be fascinated to see any photos of any part of the aerodrome or works if you have any..... :)

honda 1600

« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »
GQ11-  sorry the only photos i have are the crashed chipmunk that occured in may 1954  looking back i wished i had taken more photos of the airfield but i have some happy memories of working there and a few sad ones anyone else that worked there i would be glad to here from

Steve

« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »
"Spitfire Women" a |documentary about the ladies of the Air Transport Auxiliary will be shown on the "Yesterday" channel Wednesday at 9pm, and Thursday at 1 pm.
 Following the Wed 9pm show, a doc' about the Spifire plane is on.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »
A few more photos that I don't think have appeared on these pages before. You will find a brief description at the bottom of each photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
The last few for the moment. I'll see if I can sort some more out.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy