Author Topic: Selly Oak Memories  (Read 40251 times)

sueb

Re: Selly Oak Memories
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »
Did you read them?!!!!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
Sueb

Most of them were about trains, not a subject that enthrals me. We had no trouble in shifting them though. We didn't get a fortune though even though they were all brand new and the average price was around £15 each.

I think we got about 20p each for them not bad when you tot it up.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

j t smith

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
Hi Phil47
I remember the cafe it was run by a chap called wally mullice and his wife (He was a carpenter by trade), It was on the corner of Dawlish Rd and Exeter Rd.
J .T.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
Hi JT

Welcome to the forum, you will find you are among friends here. I think you may be right about the café. It certainly looks like the right place though it has obviously changed a bit now.

We used it for a while in the early 70's but although we used to travel a bit for a good feed it was a little off our usual track.

In the 80's we did some work converting a row of shops back to houses just a little further up the road. It must have closed down or changed hands by then because we never used it at that time and our lads were there for about three months off and on.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Depper

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
looking for the following in Selly Oak Road.  The year 1938/1939 looking for a small garage.  One man owner. The description I have from an 88 year old is that it was down towards the tram sheds.  On was on the left hand side of the road??  My father Carden Depper worked here and would like to find name and exact location
Thank You
Roger Depper

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 02:26:31 PM »
Hi Roger

I have just had a look in the 1937 Kelly's Trade Directory. I can find no trace of a garage on either side of the road. Looking on Google it looks pretty residential today. Can you give some idea of where the tram sheds were. Because I thought the only tram sheds around there were Harborne Lane & Cotteridge?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Depper

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »
Thank you.  The only additional details I have is that the family lived in Mary Vale Road.  My father worked at Smith's Garage in that road.  They then moved to West End Villa's in Kings Norton. my Uncles discription is rather vague and would guess Selly Oak in the direction of Harborne!!!  Will try and prompt him again but don't hold out much sucess.  My father's first wife Syvia Forman worked at the telephone exchange in Edgbaston. 
Hope this will assit.
Roger

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Roger

Are you sure we are not talking about Harborne Lane, as Selly Oak Rd ran from Middleton Hall Rd Kings Norton Cotteridge to Oak Tree Lane Bournville. It was mostly residential and parks with a couple of schools I think.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
Phil. Here were the tram sheds c 1910. On streetview it looks like where the building marked Duper Hall is now
mike

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
104 outside the tram shed in Dawlish Road, Bournbrook, in 1891 ... extended to Selly Oak) was operated by electric cars using overhead current supply. ...
en.wikipedia.org/.../City_of_Birmingham_Tramways_Company_Ltd
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Mike & Roy

Yes I know about the tram sheds in Dawlish Rd, but the ones mentioned are supposed to be in Selly Oak Rd.

Roger is looking for a little private garage that used to be nearby. Only I can't find any trace of it. We are talking c1938 any ideas Mike?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy