Author Topic: Selly Oak Memories  (Read 40247 times)

AWJD

Re: Selly Oak Memories
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »
Most of my mates went to Sellyoak Secondary Modern (Boys) School and so did my younger brother - I was the only one who managed to scrape through the 11 plus exam back in the early 1960's and avoided it. It wasn't such a bad school but, if you went there, your academic opportunities were assumed to be pretty minimal. I think my brother got to know a lot of youngsters at the school who were always in trouble which was a big concern to the family.

Spud

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
I worked in Selly Oak for a few months in the 50s at Radio and TV shop on the repair side of the business I won't mention the name you will see why in a minute. They were some of the biggest rogues I have ever come across. In those days Mullard were the main supplier of Valves and Cathode Ray Tubes. It got to the point where Mullard virtually refused to deal with them. Every valve and CRT was sent back under guarantee to Mullards' irrespective of how old the TV set from which they came from. Officially the guarantee was I think  6 months but they would  just look up one of the last sales of say a TV within the 6 month period and return it claiming it was under guarantee. Eventually Mullard twigged the fiddle and refused to supply any more unless they were paid for in cash.
Every Saturday a French Polisher would come into the shop to repair the damage to the TV Cabinets these were then sold as brand new.
The company ran a TV Maintenance scheme for a few bob a month you were guaranteed that you TV would be repaired FOC under the Maintenance agreement very few were genuinely repaired if there was any cost involved the repair was often codged up.
I was only about sixteen at the time and it was a real eye opener to me being young and oh so innocent that is if you can believe that.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

townie

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
What a great post Spud.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

teloma

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2021, 08:58:35 AM »
I've found my great great granddad renting a house and mews at "401 Pershore Road (was Stirchley St)" in 1912. I've been trying to figure out where that might be on today's map. I think I've found Stirchley St part of Pershore road but it looks very built up on the 1916 map, I can't see anywhere you could fit a house and a stable. Any ideas? I did find 351 Pershore Road on Google maps, but I'm not sure that's in the same part as Stirchley, I presume the numbering has changed.

Alberta

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2021, 07:50:51 AM »
In 1911 , 401 has a large Handley family living there 2 males and 6 females.It must have been quite a substantial dwelling excluding the smaller rooms,(, lobby, bathroom, scullery) it had 6 further rooms.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy