Author Topic: Selly Oak Memories  (Read 40250 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Selly Oak Memories
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
Hi sueb

I looked for a thread on Selly Oak but there doen't seem to be one. So I've started this one. As I know very little about Selly Oak other than the hospital and a few of the pubs (of course) I will have to rely on some of the other members on the site to record their memories. In the meantime I'll help you along with a few photos.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sueb

Re: Selly Oak Memories
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks Phil, that's kind of you.  I wonder if the infirmary is where Selly Oak hospital is now.  I used to live in Tiverton Road in the late 70's, up near Raddlebarn Road end and that middle photo looks familiar, although I'm sure it's a lot earlier.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:58:16 PM »
Sueb

The infirmary & workhouse was the start of Selly Oak Hospital it just grew from there.

Here are a few more photos, you did say you wanted to see what it was like before you moved there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:13:22 AM »
Phil,

Congratulations on another fine start to a site's photos - isn't that where the 11 Outer Circle came through - or has Alzy played another trick - could be as it's over 55 years since I was in Selly Oak.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »
tramp

I think that is the junction of Bristol Rd, Oak Tree Lane & Harborne Lane. You might recognise it from the photo, but I doubt you would today.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:58:14 PM »
Phil,

You know how much I've thought of a trip back - but back to what? - everything's changed beyond recognition except that which they have yet to pull down, like Moseley Rd Baths. 

It's just struck me that out here I've got things bought in places that no longer exist like Safeway (it's not food though!), C&A and Woollies.  What's really left........?????!!!!!

berniew

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:08:34 PM »
Hello folks I don't know much about Selly Oak but I worked around there last year and it's amazing how many  " back houses " have survived particularly down Dawlish Road   Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
Bernie

Yes there are quite a few back terrace houses left in Selly Oak, its one of the few places left with streets of old type terraced housing.

Mind you I had a mate who lived in one of the last occupied back to back houses in Birmingham. It was in Station Rd, Kings Norton, just opposite the railway station.

He bought it for next to nothing and he reckoned it was great for just him and the wife. I think he converted the second bedroom to a bathroom and he was all set.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
hi phil  the one picture you put up was of oak tree cafe that was almost by the loo in the middle of the road just up from the police station  i used to go in there most days for dinner when i was with the m.e.b that's going back almost 40 years
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
Hi Roy,

Were your daily visits to the loo, the cafe or the police station - and where did you lunch? ;D O0

tramp

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
hi  tramp well yes yes and the cafe we was doing a job at the police station and part of it was shut down out the back was some old loos  but not in use so we used the loo that was underground and the cafe for our lunch by the way a dinner and a pudding and a cup of teas was 2 shillings and 9 pence
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy