Author Topic: DARWIN STREET  (Read 14724 times)

astwood

DARWIN STREET
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
Is there any one have any old maps & pictures of darwin street
around 1900 my gran was born there thanks
astwood :laugh: >:D

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: DARWIN STREET
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
Astwood

Can't find a photo of the street at the moment, but here are a couple of back courts off Darwin St. Also of course one of the local pub. The Peacock I understand that it is still standing today as it woild have been in your Gran's time.

My wifes mother came from around there also. Perhaps Mikejee will be able to find you a map when he comes on.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »

astwood

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

astwood

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
Astwood

Can't find a photo of the street at the moment, but here are a couple of back courts off Darwin St. Also of course one of the local pub. The Peacock I understand that it is still standing today as it woild have been in your Gran's time.

My wifes mother came from around there also. Perhaps Mikejee will be able to find you a map when he comes on.

Phil
Thanks a lot mate

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
Astwood

All you have to do now is give us the house number and mike and I will try and point out your Grans House if it can be done.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astwood

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
hi phil
HE lived at no79 but according to his will in 1914 he also owned
no 73-74-75 and 76 darwin street as well
THANKS astwood >:D

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »
I have put a new map on  at  http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq38/jeemikejee/darwinstc1910.jpg .   I think the other link will not now work , It  shows what I'm fairly sure is no 69 in red. Although the 4 houses in blue seem to be a terrace, and you would expect them to be numbered as one, they must be 73,74,75,76, and no 79 is in green . This would make thelarge building 80, which would agree with the 1876 directory which has 80-82  a maltsters (which would be a large building) Hope that's not too complicated
Mike

astwood

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
Mike
Cheers mate This shows me where they lived and there
other houses i think he must have run his business from
home Price&winspur Letter Cutters printing trade no doubt
great stuff thanks again
astwood >:D

ginger

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
Hi everyone I'm new to B/ham Forun I came across the photo of the Peacock Pub,In 50s it was run by Mr talbot.I was a mate of his son Micky I believe they were both called Micky. Young Micky went to the openair school next to Highbury park Kings Heath.Micky had his own football pitch in what would have been the pubs garden in previous times.I came from the flats(St.Martins) over looking Leopold St

redflyingpig

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 04:31:12 AM »
hi from Canada, anyone have any pics of 11 Darwin st, my mom owned the shop there. It was a corner shop and opposite it was an aluminium smelting factory.Anyone got any pics of that? My brother Alan Poulton and myself Gerald used to play in the old aircraft they yoused to break up there. Every nov 5th my mom Olive used to give out all the fireworks not sold in the shop that year to our community bonfire. The party was held in the inner square formed by the houses , the public wash house was there. Anyone remember Colin Williams? I believe he was the boy that was sitting on the toilet when a firework went off in his pants and burned his rear end. I would love to see any pics of Darwin st in the 50s thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy