Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36806 times)

japangardener

Re: dare to build
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
Hello again Spud
Yes I remember Sid Smith in the joinery shop.  And of course Ted Mayne in the buying office.
You have reminded me of Geoff Wheeler in the drawing office and of course the head of the drawing office at that time was Frank Williams.
There was also Graham Gloster who actually started after I had left but who I met at a later date.   There was also John Nickson (can't remember what dept he worked in).  There was also an older chap called Charles (can't remember his surname)
I actually liked working at Dare's but the reason I left was that I fell foul of Patrick Dare's temper.  It was all over the 'signing in' proceedure when we arrived for work in the morning. There was a book at the reception and we all had to 'sign in' on arrival.  I noticed that no one on the ground floor bothered to sign in - so I did'n't sign in either.  This went on for months and no one took any notice.  -  I should add that I was never late because I always caught he same bus each day and usually arrived about 10 minutes early.  One day Framk Williams (my boss) said that Patrick had noticed and had insisted that I sign in.   I said I would sign in when everyone on the ground floor did the same.  A few weeks later I got the ultimatum from Patrick (via Frank Williams) that I should sign in  or take a weeks 'notice'.  The result was stalemate that culminated with me being dismissed with immediate effect.  So by 10.00am on a monday morning I found myself out of work.    I soon found another job at Birmingham City Architects Department.    It was all a bit silly because I had always got on quite well with Patrick it was really a matter of us both being very stubborn.   
Do you remember Harry Dare's car - a Rolls Royce with the reg. no. 'HD 7000' I went in it a few times and also went to Batts Hall a few times.
Oh - happy times eh !!!

vin t

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
Norman Wisdom had a share in a brickworks in Bedworth for many years.
Regards
Vin T

Spud

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
I remember Geoff Wheeler really well we played football together in The Dares Team.And Frank  Williams another character he seemed to know everything that was going on at Dares.
Funny about you losing your job it was David Dare with me and still really do not really know why   
Oneday I was there and then just went although Ted Mayne bless him managed to get me 3 months Salary in lieu. I put a deposit down on my first Car with the money.
David Dare did me a favour after a few months I was offered a Purchasing with Lucas Aerospace and spent the next 31 years with them.I retired at 56 in 1997 together with my wife and have had 14 great years.I have posted a Photograph of a Works Outing with Dares on my Friends Reunited page [John Taylor]
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Steve

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
I remember many years ago going to check out the Central heating in a Dare house which was empty at the time. I was amazed to see it had chipboard floors upstairs. You could see in the master bedroom stains where a lot fluids had been spilt either side of the bed, I wouldn't have been surprised had one of the occupants had gone thru the floor one morning.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Spud

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
Dear Steve
I read with interest your account of your  visit to the Dares house to service their heating.It reminds me of a couple of stories. We once had a panic call from the people who supplied the Heating Oil .They had filled the Oil Tank with Aviation Fuel . Fortunately or depending on your point of view the Dares had not turned on the Heating System. As regards stains on the floor .I think that this could be put down to the lady of the house who had the unfortunate habit of eating and drinking and phoning the office from her bed. The stains were probably from Chips a favourite delicacy of the dear soul.It was said that you could always tell from which room Mrs Dare phoned from if it was from the Bedroom you could hear the chip paper rustle.What a family as mad as bottle of chips !

Steve

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
Either that or bad shots on the poe ;D
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

KEITH DALLOW

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
hi exile.

dares builders built houses were i live in yardley, i live in vera rd and the road up patrick rd
were built i am told about 1940 and old neighbour told me he named the two roads after his children
vera and patrick.
keith.

Spud

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
Hi Keith
Interested about the name of Roads and Houses Built by H Dare & Son.I am pretty certain that Vera was Harry Dares Wife's name and Patrick was the eldest son.They did have a daughter her name was Gabriel and I think that she was killed in a motor car accident at Loveridge Hill nr Henley in Arden some years ago.Thanks again for your interest.

Geordie

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
Hello Folks,i worked at Dares in the 60s as a driver,at the time syd smith and jack woodward were there.At that time i used to deliver to sites at Midleton,Manchester.Parkstone,Dorset.Walsall,Redditch,Kettering,West Heath,and Dorridge.At that time Taffy Williams was looking after the transport.Syd was Harrys driver for the rolls when needed and sometimes used to take mrs Dare into town for shopping.And of course Miss Black and Mrs Goode who was the Dares cleaner at Austy Manor.It was a good firm to work for and i had some very good work mates.Al.

Spud

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »

Geordie Thought that this Photo may interest you . It was taken around 1965 outside Dares Offices in Alum Rock Rd .We were all off on a works outing. I worked for Dares between 1962 and 1966

robbiejd

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
Dares built the whole Kingshurst estate , but i think that may have been early 50s...i have seen pictures of the build and there plant somewhere
work is for people who don't know how to fish

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy