Author Topic: dare to build  (Read 36807 times)

exile

dare to build
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »

I am tryimg to locate the developments built by Harry Dare- " Dare to Build "-  in the period around 1960 to 1980.  This was mainly private housing but may also have included some municipal projects. Thanks

chas35

Re: dare to build
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
We lived in a Dare's house in the 60's it was on Gillity Village off the Walsall Road.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »
Hi Chas35, Hi exile

Welcome both to the forum, exile I remember Dare's Builders they were based in Alum Rock Rd in the 60's and I remember seeing lots of their contracts about Birmingham. I'm afraid that I am unable to remember where any of them were located.

Heres an extract from the 1967 Kelly's trade directory it mat be of some help to you in your search.

Dare H. & Son Ltd. building contrctrs. 962 Alum Rock rd.
Ward. End 8. 'Stechford 5931/7
Dare H. & Son (Northern) Ltd. estate development, 962
Alum Bock rd. Ward End 8. Stechford 593: /7
Dare H. & Son (Southern) Ltd. contrctrs. 962 Alum Rock
rd 8. Stechford 5931/7
Dares Estates Ltd. holding company, 962 Alum Rock rd.
Ward End 8. Steohford 5931 If
Dares (Investments) Ltd investment company, 962 Alum
Rook rd 8.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mike jenks

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
Hi

Huge area of Brun were built by the Dares. Namely modern
type Semi's. The Chester road Castle Bromwich was a favourite are of theirs.
They were directores of Birmingham City FC and built the main stand.
Harry Dare was the head guy.
I think they stayed clear of the huge commercial developments in
Brum that was left to the Bryants and Wimpy's.
Thats emptied me out on this one. Carl Chinn should have a
barrow load on these guy's.

Mike Jenks

Langstraat

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
I am tryimg to locate the developments built by Harry Dare- " Dare to Build "-  in the period around 1960 to 1980.  This was mainly private housing but may also have included some municipal projects. Thanks

Great Barr.

This may be outside the time scale you're interested in but I include it for your reference.

The area was bounded by the Tame Valley Canal, Jayshaw Road and Spouthouse Lane. It was build during the 50/60's
'Dare' used modern construction methods and built very quickly using utility materials which were still in short supply after the war. Common bricks and concrete floated floors.

I lived there from new from: 1955 through to 1974. A nice little community, tree lined Avenues, play area, shops, a pub, and a couple of schools. Some of the original open spaces have since been in-filled with other housing.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »
From a little research I understand that Dare's built houses and Shops in the School Rd Shirley area and also on the former Windmill Farm out Quinton way among the many roads were Edenhall Rd, Grayswood Park Rd and Whitley Court Rd.

They also built another development at the junction of Perry Hill Rd and Hagley Rd West in the Clydesdale Road area.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
Dares built a small development of Church rd in Sheldon in the early 60s.

Spud

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
I worked for H Dare and Son between Nov 1962 and Oct 1966.During that time  was  'Spec'Housing was their main interest.There were various sites mainly in the Birmingham Staffordshire Stratford up on Avon Henley in Arden areas.They did however have quite a big interest in the Manchester Area and they also built a block of flats in Sandbanks Nr Poole.Chairman Harry Dare took the pent house suite for himself on this development.Other prominent sites Brandwood Park Rd Kings Heath Bham,Abnalls Lane Lichfield,3 or 4 3 storey blocks of flats in Shirley Solihull,Henleydale Flats in Henley in Arden and about 12 luxury houses again in Henley,Flats at Hodge Hill Common,Birmingham,Gillity Village nr Walsall,Endwood Court Handsworth Wood Bham and Houses in the same area.Blocks of Flats in Ulverley Green Rd Olton Solihull. There were also small developments in Burman Rd Shirley and Leech Green Lane Rednal.  There were also sites in the Cheltenham area .Dares also had interests in Johanesburg SA mainly Flats if I remember.Some people went from Bham to work in SA.
Harry Dare made his money from building Council housing for Bham Council from around the 50s.They also flirted in the 60s with some Contract work bulding Petrol Stations for the Italian Company Agip but this work really did not take off
Harry Dare was Chairman with Sons Patrick,David,Robin ,Norman Smart,and Charlie Hathaway also Directors.In addition they had a plant hire Company in Stechford Bham run by Peter Hathaway Charlie Hathaways son.
Interestingly Norman Wisdom the Comedian was a friend of Harry Dare and in fact once performed during the staff Christmas Party.I am fairly certain that at the time Wisdom had an interest in a Brickworks in the East Midlands.Dares also had probably the first Volvo Car Dealership in the midlands.
Harry Dare  had number of luxury homes during the 60s Bats Hall in Knowle and later Austy Manor Nr Stratford on Avon this was later sold to the Bristish Pregnancy Ass.For many years Miss Dorothy Black who lived on the Stratford Rd Shirley acted as his secretary for many years.Patrick Dare was Lord Mayor of Stratford upon Avon during the 60s and lived in the Ullenhall area.Dares also had an interest in National Hunt Racing and Point to Point in the Stratford area.Around 1963/4 Harry Dare had a fancied runner ,Welshman in The Grand National and treated the entire staff to a day out at Aintree . Welshman failed to get placed.
Dares was quite a place to work and I could write a book about my time there.

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

japangardener

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
Hello Spud
I worked for H. Dare and Sons also.  About 1957 to 1961.
I worked in the drawing office and I knew quite well..........
Charlie Hathaway
Dorothy Black
Patrick Dare
Robin Dare
David Dare
Barry Vincent
When I started - Eric Shrobshall was Chief in the drawing office but was later replaced by....... (can't remember his name)
The three sons (Patrick Robin and David) each drove Jaguar XK150s  (to my envy)
I worked on the designs for some of the houses built in Sutton Coldfield (Wylde Green) and Solihull and I also designed Patrick's own house at Ullenhall - It was designed to be in a Swiss Chalet style.
I remember going on a Staff summer trip to Epson where we saw 'The Oaks'   -  Barry Vincent paid for a small group of us to go into the Royal Enclosure.  A day I will always remember.
You must have been there after me - what department did  you work in ?
I wonder if you knew any of the other staff there.
Veronica (Ronnie) McHugh
Pat (???)  in sales
Carol (???) in sales

Spud

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »
Hello Spud
I worked for H. Dare and Sons also.  About 1957 to 1961.
I worked in the drawing office and I knew quite well..........
Charlie Hathaway
Dorothy Black
Patrick Dare
Robin Dare
David Dare
Barry Vincent
When I started - Eric Shrobshall was Chief in the drawing office but was later replaced by....... (can't remember his name)
The three sons (Patrick Robin and David) each drove Jaguar XK150s  (to my envy)
I worked on the designs for some of the houses built in Sutton Coldfield (Wylde Green) and Solihull and I also designed Patrick's own house at Ullenhall - It was designed to be in a Swiss Chalet style.
I remember going on a Staff summer trip to Epson where we saw 'The Oaks'   -  Barry Vincent paid for a small group of us to go into the Royal Enclosure.  A day I will always remember.
You must have been there after me - what department did  you work in ?
I wonder if you knew any of the other staff there.
Veronica (Ronnie) McHugh
Pat ( ??? )  in sales
Carol ( ??? ) in sales

Spud

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
Hello japangardener.
As I said I started at Dares in Nov 1962 and worked for Ted Mayne in the Buying Office. Arthur Aldridge had recently returned from Sth Africa and was also in the Buying Dept for a short time but was transferred to Candy and Morris as manager.
As regards the Drawing Office I remeber Ken Hall,David Holdsworth,Geoff,Frank.A chap named Ladbrook took over the DO in about 1963 the Dares drove him crackers he only lasted a few months and was replaced by Ousley who suffered a similar fate.
Barry Vincent he returned from Sth Africa around 1963. What a character. Loved him.
Remember Ronnie McHugh she was Patrick Dares secretary until a new kid appeared on the block one Christmas.Patrick had a hugh American Car Imported from the US . I remeber he could not get tyres for it .We had to get them from the US for him. Robin replaced his Jag with an Alvis.
Do you remeber Sid Smith in the Joinery Shop or Jack Woodward ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy