Author Topic: A.D.Wimbush & Son  (Read 42060 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: A.D.Wimbush & Son
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
Ken

I think as far as demolishing the building goes I don't think we can blame the Council for this and obviously it wasn't a listed building like the old library and baths opposite.

I think we need to blame the developers whoever they may be. I knew the two brothers who owned the land next door to Wimbushes right over to Cattle road. I know in the late 80's they were trying to buy Greenway St and close it. So perhaps they did and it was them who demolished Wimbushes. I know they never offered me the job.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:51 PM »
Ken

It might have been "My Café" at 46-47 Cherry Street or "Prince's Café" at 25 Temple Street. Both were owned by Wimbushes. I never used either so I can't tell you anything about them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »
Ken

Have you seen these photos of the corner of Hobmoor Rd Church Rd one in 1930 and one in 1960.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »
Hi all/
         The Barn at Hockley Heath I think this was owned by wimbushes.
                                                                                     Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi/
    Found this menu for the twenty fivers dinner at Lincolns inn cafe 1956.
                                                                Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

mike jenks

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 11:26:38 PM »
hi

Yes in those day's the smell of that Bakery was all around
Green Lane. I was at Alston Road School 1955 to 1957.
We used the Baths at Green Lane. Afterwards we went into the
shop in the Bakery where you could get a lot of bread rolls for a few pence.
Happy Day's

Mike Jenks

YARDKID

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »
My Sister was Manageress at Wimbush`s shop in Broad St, she married in 1935 on a Sunday because Saturday was a very busy day and she could not get the day off, but Mr. Wimbush who she said was good boss gave her the Monday off with pay and she had a one day honeymoon and went back to work on Tuesday, her husband was also in the bakery trade.

YARDKID

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »
Re the Comedian, Bob Hatch, i saw him at the BSA Tools,Kitts Green, works club in the late 1950`s, a good comedian. :D ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
Hi Ken

Another Wimbush's shop to add to your collection. This one is on High Park Street in Nechells. I'm surprised anyone around there could afford cream cakes. I suppose they were all eaten by by Steve or it may have been JayKay I hear he has got plenty of money, but he spends it all on expensive malt.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jerry

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »
Mike, you say you went to the shop in the bakery, that's a new one on me, I know they had a couple of shops close to the bakery but I don't remember one actually inside?
Anyway, we had our own private shop at the back of the bakery. Up the side alley by The Cricketers, over the back wall and help yourself! 8)
Always make sure you've got a comfortable bed and a comfortable pair of shoes because you're gonna spend most of your time in one or the other

gibson

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
Phil,  thanks for another great photo, of Wimbush, in Nechells,  but whatever gave you the impression that we couldn't afford cream cakes in Nechells ?  of course we could, Steve was getting good money delivering papers for Irelands in Nechells Park Road, and I was earning, not so good money, at LH NEWTON,  I cant speak for jaykay, perhaps as you said, he might have preffered malt  ;)   ::)   :P   Gibson

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy