Author Topic: the lickys  (Read 2044 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
the lickys
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:51:33 PM »
five of us kids  set off to the licks down angelina street to the botton  up hope street and the to bristal road  we had got it all planed  cold tea bread and dripping we was going to have a picknick   on the tram we got we all sat up the top paid our fare 1p it was like going to a new world we got to sallyoak over the cut we sin a boat never sin one befor down in to northfeild went like hell down the hill tram was going from side ta side up past the woodlands in ta northfeild then past the aurstin and up the hill to the licks  we was there off the tram had a wee  it was wonder land the fare the tall trees down the hill we went we was in the woods my mate found a brook and he fell in  then into the park we went found the pond with big gold fish in  and the warter fall the up the path to the big lake it had got ducks of all kinds never sin a duck in real life befor we found a rope swing in the woods so we all had a go on that we went on and on up the path till we come out of the woods we was now at the top of the licks we could see for ever  so we all sat down and had our tea and dripping played hid and seek and then we went ta find that rope swing and have a swing our two
it seemed like a short time we was there none of us new the time or could tell the time so we got the tram home  on the way back we come to the austin and there was trams all over the place it was home time for the austin in no time it was full and off we went we all had to give up our seats to let the men sit down not a word was said we all had the time of our life and it was nice to get home and bed and to think about the day that ange gang had had at the licks
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Graham

Re: the lickys
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 10:28:37 PM »
Roy, wonderful stories and times. I remember the 'lickys' well too. The loop in the tram lines at the top, so that the trams could turn round, and a machine that could stamp metal labels with,say, your name on it. There was also a machine that told your fortune. My cousin had a go on it and his card said "you life will come to a violent end", and it did! Then got our hands black picking Bilberries to make jam and pies with.

Here in Ghent we still have trams and when I'm on one it always reminds me of the ride to the 'lickys'.

Sorry John and everyone that I've not been on the forum much these days, not from bad health this time, but I've had a busy time on the Flemish net and just finished my end of year French exams, + helping my grand-kids with their exams and ferrying them back and forth to school. Keeping busy helps to keep me young  ;).

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: the lickys
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:02:44 PM »
hi ya our kid lololo thanks for your reply  iv got lots of things to say about brum good time and some not so good look out for the bit about my life in the homes how i got there and why i got there i think that i can put me hand up and say yep im a brum kid every last bit of me see ya our kid if yowv bin ill get ya self beta
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy