Author Topic: the shops of brum city center in the 50s  (Read 51626 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
the shops of brum city center in the 50s
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
 in the 50s brum city center was full of large department stores C/A  WOOLWOTHS LEWIS most big stores had a father xmas and being a child it was dream land just to go and see all the diffrent toys and to go home and dream about xmas

but sadly its no longer the case most have gone

can you remember the big shops and did you go shopping or did you see f/xmas

can you name the big shops and have you got any photos of them or did your work in any of them
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

Re: the shops of brum city center in the 50s
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
Roy,

I remember going to Lewis's at Christmas time in the Fifties to see Father Christmas and they also had Uncle Holly there. Does anyone remember getting an Uncle Holly badge ?

Brian

Pat H

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »
Yes, and queuing up all those flights of stairs waiting to see Father Christmas.
Do you remember the small zoo on the roof of Lewis’s, it stands out in my mind as one of the monkey’s they had took a liking to my hair and wouldn’t let go, it took two assistants to pry his fingers loose.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »
hi pat h

do you remember the lifts in Lewis and you had a man telling you what was on each floor that was the first time i had ever been in a lift mum would not go in a lift she said the rope might brake and we would fall to our death but i went with my moms friend she worked in the stores she got 28 shillings aweek

Andy Capp

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
Hi Roy
Our mom worked as a lift girl at marsall & snelgrove store in the Birmingham City Centre in the late 1920s early 1930s. When we were children we would love her to call out the patter she would say on the different floors. she would say 1st  floor ladies underwear 2nd floor soft furnishings 3rd floor menswear anyone for this floor  on the different floors as she went up & so on happy memories. Andy Capp

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »
does any one know if Lewis had a paddling pool on its roof garden roy

21ASaltley

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:56:24 AM »
Us nippers always got kitted out at Henrys,who had a Father Christmas with tattoos on his arms,visible on a photograph of my younger sister on his knee(she`s fifty three now).

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
just a slit Chang of tack at what age did you find out about f/xmas and how did you find out

frederick

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »
this is a photo of my younger son taken at Lewis's it would be 1978 it was the place to go with your kids in those days to see farther Christmas.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
Two photos of some of my little angels visiting Santa in town somewhere, The one with the two blonde urchins is at least 20 years old. The other one with the little horror in the blue coat is about 15 years old. She is the one that even today brings animals to our house for us to look after. Because her parents have got no room left.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
All lovely pics......................Can't wait for Santa to come and visit........counting down the days....................oh sorry,forgot I am 55    ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy