Author Topic: the shops of brum city center in the 50s  (Read 51636 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the shops of brum city center in the 50s
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
Dek

Yes if you look down Dr Johnson Passage you can just see Greys over the road opposite.

New Meeting St ran from Moor St to High St with the Waverley Hotel at the High St end and Dingleys Hotel at the Moor St end.

Crooked Lane originally ran from The Cherry Orchard (St Phillips) down to the High St. I personally think it went further and have a theory that it continued on down through Digbeth. But thats just me in our time it ran from Corporation St to High St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
WE are lucky enough to have a couple of these left today, although they might not look quite the same lately.

The Minories
Union Passage
St Peters Place

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »
As this is a thread about shops in Birmingham City Centre I have continued to post these photos of Alleys, Arcades & passages in the City as they are related to shops. But as the photos I have now have no connection to shops I will start another thread for those.

To get back to shops, this is one of Loo Blooms Tailor shops. The one in Worcester Street to be precise. I think he had others elsewhere, I seem to remember one on Coventry Rd.  I don't think I ever bought a suit from him but I may have bought an occasional shirt.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dylan

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »
BRILL pics always loved going to bham shopping have not been for yrs must go & have a nosey

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
Hi Dylan

If you haven't been for years, then you won't recognise it but I think you will have a pleasant surprise. I haven't been round the Bull Ring area myself since it was rebuilt. Although I have been along Broad Street and the NIA and Conference Centre and the Canal Basins and Wharfs and I think that is fantastic.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »
I remember there was a photos studio as you go down the steps in Christ church passage, on the right, cant remember if the shop was in the middle of the steps or just at the bottom, I still have that photo I had taken ( I remember my mom telling which one she thought was the best,),  and funny but my daughter has a lot of pic's of me, but she still thinks the best one was taken at that shop when I was 9 years old, ( dicky bow and all), ..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

maypolemadman

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:51 AM »
 Phil 47   Great to see the pic of the Minories.  I recall it had solid rubber blocks  for the roadway. Supposed to deaden the sound of iron tyres on the carts and the clopping of the hooves of the horses Maypolemadman

the man

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:41 PM »
Hi all,
I am new to thew forum, I don't much about birmingham, but I know tonnes about Lewis's, Having worked in one of the other branches.

The birmingham store used to have two sides, sides A & B, I think there were lifts in both sides of the building. On the top, there was a roof garden and a childrens zoo,  On the 5th there was a large toy department, with model trains and the 6th there was the grotto.

The store purchased Newburys next door sometime in the 20s. It orignally only had the corporation street side. It had a lot of opposition when it opened in 1896 (I think that was the year, but dont quote me.)

The Liverpool branch is still open (its now been bought by Vergo Retail, after nearly closing a few years ago.), we visited the christmas grotto this year, its huge!!! It costs a fiver to get in, but it is big (It takes up all of the 3rd floor) and the money is going charity. They also now have a website, which mentions the birmingham store and tells you all about the history, you can also submit your memories, so people can read all the chain:-
Memories - http://www.lewissliverpool.co.uk/content/Memories
Home Page - http://www.lewissliverpool.co.uk/
History/Future - http://www.lewissliverpool.co.uk/content/HistoryFuture

Sadly though the store is not as big, or as stable as it once was, it now only  has up to the 2nd floor open and at christmas, the 3rd (grotto floor). The store is looking a bit run down at the moment because it is well away from the new regenerated liverpool One centre , the store is suffering from a lack of custom. Although construction work on a new shopping area behind the store will hopefully give it new life.

I also have some photos and videos of Lewis's Birmingham, form the 50s, but I will have to learn how to upload them first.

denise

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Look forward to seeing the pics.There are a few threads on Lewis's which remains fondly in many a brummie memory.

the man

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
Thank You :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »
Hi the man

Welcome to the forum, if you look through the back posts you will find some assistance with uploading . If you still can't fathom it just ask for help.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy