Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144103 times)

9teen48

Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
Phil,

About that time I would have been upstairs at a folk club at The Crown in Station Street.  Until you posted this thread I haven't thought about cafe's and coffee bars for years.  In the late 1960s I used a place called The Jesmond Cafe on Pershore Road in Stirchley - but that was more for sausage egg and chips. Another cafe in Watford Road, Cotteridge - can't remember the name. Then there was a place we used for coffee at night on the corner of Middleton Hall Road in Cotteridge.  I previously mentioned the Surfside Stop in Constitution Hill - there was a cafe at the bottom of Summer Lane where we got sausage and tomato sandwiches for breakfast ! In the early 1970s I worked at GEC Witton and we used a corner cafe in Electric Avenue for bacon sandwiches. The Silver Grill in King's Heath and then in the 1980s I worked in Harborne and often used a cafe at the War Lane end of the High Street - but I just can't remember their names.

Brian

9teen48

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:17 AM »
Here is an advert from August 1963 King's Heath Observer announcing the opening of the Silver Grill on the corner of High Street and Silver Street.  This premises was formerly Skans the tobacconists.

oznow

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
I remember a coffee bar we use to go to after a night out and I think it stayed open real late was the La Bohemia it was opposite the Fire Station and it served the coffee in those tiny wide top see through pyrex cup and saucers and there was always more in the saucer by the time you found somewhere to sit down.

O0 .

wimbush yardley

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »
Hi All/
       Remember the El Toro was it Pinfold St.?
                                                          Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
Hi Ken

Where have you been, I remember the "El Toro" although I can't claim to have ever used it. Well at least while sober anyway. I never knew where I went after a few. It certainly was down Pinfold St way.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
did any body us a coffee bar called the stage door in brum center car!nt think of the name of the road it was in but it was no more than an ally  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
Roy

It was New Meeting Street and it ran down the side of Albert St from Moor St to High St. I've got a photo somewhere I'll look it out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 11:28:01 PM »
Wasn't the Stage Door into Folk and skiffle - it's almost 51 years so I may be completely misrecalling.

oznow

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
I thought the Stage Door was at the side of the Market Hotel next to the big bar they had there, but again I could be wrong ?

O0 .

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »
the stage door was a meeting place for all kinds of folk some would spend time having coffee and chatting  others would meet up and go off  it closed at 23 30 it was easy going  some done drugs but for most it was just a place to go if you had no money
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wiseman

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »
Hi, I used to go to The Jolly Tea Pot, Stechford, after going to the Beaufort Cinema, before catching the 55 bus to Shard End in the 60,s

Any pics Phil ? :)  Rob.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy