Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144485 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
Hi Pollypants,

Welcome to the forum, the stage door was never my type of place. No particular reason but I much preferred some of the other places in town. Sorry I can't help you with your request concerning Scotch John but I only ever used the Stage Door once I think. Though I must admit the name sounds familiar and I was around the town in 66-67.

Here are another couple of photos of New Meeting Street where the Stage Door was located.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pollypaints

« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »
Thank you for quick answer and picks.
Did you ever go to the Matador pub in the bull ring centre?
I was the barmaid there/
I also went to the Elbow Room and Rum-runner, Locarno and hole in the wall.
I worked a few weeks at a café that had groups playing downstairs. It was at the end of town somewhere.
It was raided and I got to work one day and it had been closed down.
I lost all my paintings that were on the walls.
Anyway I enjoyed my days in Brum. Started off at the windmill and often ate at the Slowboat.

Pollypaints

« Reply #288 on: May 29, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
did any body us a coffee bar called the stage door in brum center car!nt think of the name of the road it was in but it was no more than an ally  Roy

Yes I used to go there with my sister. I worked in the Matador pub in the bull ring centre. 1966-67. then about 1968-69.
Did you know Scotch John.

townie

« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
Snooks if you visited the Tow rope you must also have used the Mexicarno café on Bromsgrove Street. That was my real local after the Ringway. If you did what year would it be about? Or if anyone else used the mexi please let us know.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
pollypaints

In answer to your question, I never used the Elbow Room or the Hole in the Wall, though I did use the other places you mention. In addition we used Woolworths Cafeteria, Pattisons upstairs, the little end bar of the Crown, the Wandering  Minstrel, Alex's Pie stand, the Ringway, the Towrope, the Rendezvous, this was at a time when Birmingham was just beginning to get some semblance of a night life.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pat11

« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »
Does anybody remember Uncle Bills Coffee Bar which was opposite the Hippodrome (perhaps a little further down) I used to go there in 1958 but think it was demolished in the early 60's.

Also has anyone any photographs of La Fiesta by favourite haunt.  I have seen distance photographs but nothing close up.

I remember a very small coffee bar somewhere near where Marks and Spencer is now, they always seemed to be playing Smoke Gets in Your Eyes on the juke box, but I can't remember the name of the place, I think it was on a corner.
Kindness is the best feature

townie

« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »
Does anyone else on this forum remember the Mexicarno café on Bromsgrove Street or are me and Phil imagining it. I have been all over the net and even contacted Carl Chinn, not one photo. Late 60s early 70s.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #293 on: July 19, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
Hi Pat11,

Welcome to the forum, this is the only photo of La Fiesta that I can come up with but I think you have seen it before. I don't remember either of the other cafes that you mention. What years are we talking about?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #294 on: July 21, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
I remember a very small coffee bar somewhere near where Marks and Spencer is now, they always seemed to be playing Smoke Gets in Your Eyes on the juke box, but I can't remember the name of the place, I think it was on a corner.

Was this in the early 60's, and could it have been on the apex of the sharp corner where New Meeting Street joins Albert Street?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Steve

« Reply #295 on: July 21, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »
I've pasted this from a thread called 'Coffe bar' from B'ham History forum July 2010 by one Boro Keith

Default Re: Coffee Bar

The cafe was the Mexicano and was run by a Greek I think his name was Mario and his Irish wife. It was one of those places where it was best not to know too much of what was going on
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

townie

« Reply #296 on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
I've pasted this from a thread called 'Coffe bar' from B'ham History forum July 2010 by one Boro Keith

Default Re: Coffee Bar

The cafe was the Mexicano and was run by a Greek I think his name was Mario and his Irish wife. It was one of those places where it was best not to know too much of what was going on

Steve it was the best all-nighter café in Brum. I think I am in a position to say that, as I was in there every night of the week. To this day I have never found a photo of the place though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy