Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144091 times)

townie

Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #341 on: December 13, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
The only one I can remember from around that era was the saints and sinners.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #342 on: December 13, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »
The only one I can remember from 5 ways was Saints and Sinners. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #343 on: December 13, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »
Jools

There weren't many nightclubs about in Birmingham in the early 60's but as far as I can remember Midnight City was underneath the Moathouse club in Bradford St opposite the meat market. The Penthouse ( not the one now ) was down by the Cedar Club on Constitution Hill or Summer Lane not one I ever used, but there was a café nearby called the Surfside Stop or something similar.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

W.A.Pirate

« Reply #344 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
Phil  Hi

Wasn't the Surfside the coffee bar under the railway arches, typical c/b only sold froffy coffee & donuts  but had a jukebox with over 100 records

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #345 on: December 14, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
Hi W.A.Pirate,

I don't remember if I have welcomed you to the forum yet, if I haven't I do so now. As I think I said I never used the Penthouse or the Surfside as they were too far out of town for my liking. The only reason I know of them is because I have heard them talked about. Perhaps you might get some further information on this thread.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=466.msg219889#msg219889
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jools

« Reply #346 on: December 14, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
Thanks Phil,it's all come back to me now !! It was the surfside stop,thank you Jools😀

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #347 on: December 14, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Jools

No problem, I also read or was told (nothing to do with the café) that the Penthouse Club was accessed via a fur lined lift I wonder what that smelt and looked liked after being used by many late night drunken revellers?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jools

« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
Ha ha! Dread to think!!😀,Jools

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
Two well used cafe's in Birmingham City Centre were the Kardomah on New Street and the Kardomah on Colmore Row. They were always packed with shoppers sipping their coffee and munching their cream cakes. This was one of the reasons why I never used the places though they were very popular if somewhat expensive for my tastes back then. I think they both closed before 1970 and though there are a few Kardomah cafe's left open in other City's I don't think there is one in Birmingham that remains open. If I am wrong somebody will hopefully correct me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Snooks

« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
My mother would take me there as a treat on a Saturday when we went shopping - it was either that or a cornet in Lewis' - a soft whippy one! We didn't have an ice-cream van to come into our area so I always looked forward to that...
Onwards and upwards!

Jools

« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2015, 02:24:11 PM »
The photo's are great,thanks,I used to go to the kardomah in new street in the 60's when I was allowed to go up town on my own! I would go upstairs and have egg and chips they served it on a silver dish was so yummy and the chips were French fries type which you didn't get then,on Saturdays I would do that and buy a single from smiths in new street ,I remember I got for your love by the yardbirds and another time go now by the moody blues,I was a lonely child and sat in the Kardomah a lot watching people and the world go by 😀

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy