Author Topic: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's  (Read 144141 times)

Pollypaints

Re: Cafe's & Coffee Bar's
« Reply #506 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:12 PM »
I can only remember 2 all night cafes. They were the Mexicarno Bromsgrove Street and there was another at Five ways, that one I can't remember the name. The Tow rope if I remember correctly closed at 4 o'clock so was not an all night cafe. Does anybody know of anymore?

I worked in a cafe  that was not far from a disused car park. It served cafe food during the day and at night it came alive with bands, in the basement.  I went back one day and it had been shut down by police. They had Nude Mud Wrestling ladies. I 😂  I remember Kiki Dee singing with a band. I lost my paintings that were on display.

Pollypaints

« Reply #507 on: June 15, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »
Does anyone remember a cafe we used to use at the bottom of washwood heath rd at the junction near the gate Saltley, at the back of my mind I seem to recall there was a connection with Graham Hunt ? The Brummies speedway rider or is my
mind making it up
David RrRR

I lived in washwood heath 1966-68.
While working at the Wondering Minstrel in Bull Ring Centre.

Pollypaints

« Reply #508 on: June 15, 2021, 01:29:58 PM »
Hi Pollypants,

Welcome to the forum, the stage door was never my type of place. No particular reason but I much preferred some of the other places in town. Sorry I can't help you with your request concerning Scotch John but I only ever used the Stage Door once I think. Though I must admit the name sounds familiar and I was around the town in 66-67.

Here are another couple of photos of New Meeting Street where the Stage Door was located.

Thank you. I've done nothing today, I'm engrossed in this forum. 🥺

Scipio

« Reply #509 on: June 15, 2021, 06:30:08 PM »

I lived in washwood heath 1966-68.
While working at the Wondering Minstrel in Bull Ring Centre.

Hello Pollypaints Yes the place to be The Wandering Minstrel in the 60's , it was a great pub with a very good atmosphere . It was also very rewarding for me and my mate for about three weeks .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Pollypaints

« Reply #510 on: June 15, 2021, 06:46:46 PM »
I used to make all the scotch eggs and serve the food.
I found an old photo of the Slowboat Chinese Restaurant. Mrs Anne Hadland was there, it must have been before I worked for them. She was a beautiful lady. David was a stocky man with a scar on his face. They really looked after me.in those days the pub was four deep at the bar, even at lunchtime.

Scipio

« Reply #511 on: June 15, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
I used to make all the scotch eggs and serve the food.
I found an old photo of the Slowboat Chinese Restaurant. Mrs Anne Hadland was there, it must have been before I worked for them. She was a beautiful lady. David was a stocky man with a scar on his face. They really looked after me.in those days the pub was four deep at the bar, even at lunchtime.

Yes I know , mostly made up by the mods when I used to go in there . The reward I mentioned , we used to go in there about 9.00pm on a Friday night , we'd go to The Gun Room in The Albany prior . Anyway about 10.15-10.20 pm we used to go on this machine , I kid you not we could not lose for three successive Fridays we walked out of the Minstrel with eighty Dunhill International  each , then off to The Locarno thinking we were millionaires . We couldn't believe our luck , great days 
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #512 on: June 15, 2021, 06:58:08 PM »

I worked in a cafe  that was not far from a disused car park. It served cafe food during the day and at night it came alive with bands, in the basement.  I went back one day and it had been shut down by police. They had Nude Mud Wrestling ladies. I 😂  I remember Kiki Dee singing with a band. I lost my paintings that were on display.

Can you remember anything about the surrounding area when you worked here ?
Mark Twain

Dellum

« Reply #513 on: August 06, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »
Thanks Phil,it's all come back to me now !! It was the surfside stop,thank you Jools😀

I am a new member of this site and read the items on the Surfside Stop coffee bar situated at the junction of Constitution Hill and Summer Lane..
I worked there (part time job) on Friday and Saturday Nights in 1965-66. The club above was the Penthouse and Eddie Fewtrell's Cedar Club was 100 metres up the road in Constitution Hill. I shared digs with my good friend Tom at a rented room in Handsworth Wood which was owned by the Surfside Stop manager. The coffee bar was the hub of cafe culture, with regulars, Muff and Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Spencer Davies and Robert Plant who was with the Band of Joy at the time.  The place was packed solid every weekend with people meeting up before and after going to clubs in town, all the tables were shaped like surf boards. An exciting time ............Del

Scipio

« Reply #514 on: October 06, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »
Hello Wendy T is that the Communication Row off Bath Row ?
Mark Twain

Dermot Basha

« Reply #515 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:36 AM »
hi Phil,

i remember the Boundry well, was run by the Mc cleans,
they now run the pub next door called Casey Joes,

the Coliseum has long closed down, its been worked on now, but not sure what its going to be,

does anyone remember a cafe on the Stratford Road, called "the Magnet" is was an Irish cafe,
done a lovely bacon and cabbage, it was just up the road from the Mermaid

Dermot

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy