Author Topic: Day Trips on Allenways chararbangs in the late 1940s & Early 1950s  (Read 7077 times)

Andy Capp

Can Anyone remember going on street  day trips on Allenways coaches of Moseley Road. They had some real old bangers just after the war. Many a time the men on the coach would have to give it a push to get it started. It was a bit of a standing joke. Andy Capp

John_Lerwill

Re: Day Trips on Allenways chararbangs in the late 1940s & Early 1950s
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 03:52:24 PM »
No, Andy. I do remember Allenways, though. Also Smiths Coaches on the Stratford Road.

But your story, Andy, reminds me of the time my father hired a car back in the mid-50s. He entrusted my uncle to find him a cheap vehicle to hire for the week-end, and he delivered it. Cheap? Well, it was an early 1930s Citroen - and looked it!

Nevertheless, we went out in it, only to find, after a few miles, that it couldn't climb steep hills! So everywhere we went then had to be a route around steep hills - there were no motorways then.

But it got us there (to the Cotswolds).

On the way back at dusk was even more of a laugh, because we found that the lamps didn't work, and we eventually had to abandon it at Redditch and come back the rest of the way by bus (Midland Red).
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

john2000

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:35:57 PM »
I remember a story, ( but don't know how true it is ), about a trip by  coach to blackpool for a works day outing,
Well every one was on the beer, and having a great time, they all arrived safe at Blackpool, and they all had a great day out at the fun fair, on the roundabouts,swings, and of course bingo. well the time came for them to return home, so they all met at the coach station, they found the drive waiting for them, so they all got on board, all had, had a great day most where three sheets to the wind, ( drunk), anyway, as they were getting the bus they saw a guy fast asleep, "is he with us, they asked the driver "don't know, have a look in his pockets to see where he lives, he lived in Aston Birmingham, OK, he's with us lot, so they put him on the bus, to come home, the busdriver dropped all his passengers off by where they lived ( as they used to do in them days ), they found the address of the guy they picked up and, he was still blind drunk, and couldn't stand, so they helped him to the front door, while banging on the door, the woman next door open the bedroom window, asking what was all the noise for, "we've brought Harry home was the reply", don't talk daft, he's on holiday for two weeks with his family in Blackpool,", they left him at his front door, and they [censored] off........ ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »
a driver that i know well and i know this to be true was looking for work and this  coach firm said will let you know they did a few days later a trip to blackpool he went round and picket up the folk and off to blackpool they went a good day was had by all on the way back the hat went round and the driver got £12 in tips next day he was told come Friday for you pay did you get any tips he was ask yes i got 12 quid ok you done well well when he got his pay they had took the 12 quid out saying you've had 12 quid this is the rest to make it up  well a few days later they rang him to ask if he would do a trip to blackpool yes he said and he did but when he got to blackpool he rang them and said you coach is in blackpool come and get it  ill not name the firm because you'll all know it
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »
I remember endless coach trips i took with my mom and gran in the 60's with both Smiths and Allenways. I thought Allenways were at Stockland Green Erdington.
Have i got my coach companies confused or did Allenways move from the Moseley Road?

john2000

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:45:27 PM »
My first train ride was in 1950, and I still had short pants on, ( with the ass hanging out), my uncle took me to the sea side ( first time I'd seen that too), looking out the window of the carrage watching the country side roll by, great, till I got a cinder in my eye,
at last we arrived in Landudno( spelt wrong) had my first stick of rock, and got all sticky, got sand every were, played on the sand, built sand castles, the tide came in so I get wet too, ( salt water don't dry very well) and as I said had a hole in my pants, wet socks,  anyway time came, to go home, so I was happy sitting on the train with my little bag of sweets, to me that was a journey of a life time,
since then, I've been to places that most people only dream about, driving for days in the Sahara desert ( that was a bloody big beach), standing on tops of mountains above the clouds, where you could see forever, walking through the jungles of Gabon, where the bush was so thick, you could only see 2 meters, in the Arctic circle where it was min 27c, and looking at the Aurora bora in the night sky,
but I still remember that first train journey when I was a kid as tho it was only yesterday.......... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »
john that made me think to my first trip was a school trip to the sea side the cost of the trip was 2/6 (12p now) we had to pay 3pence aweek un till it was paid it was with smiths on the corner of farm road sparkbrook and it was to Weston super mare 8am we set off from out side the school and we got to Weston about 12 no motorway in them days when we got to Bristol we seen the docks thinking that was the sea side well we got to Weston and we was told be back by 3pm the first thing i done was to taste the sea to see if it had got salt in it the sea was a long way out  but i found a pool to try my mate and me made our way to the sea we came to the mud thick and deep but we went on  my shoe got stuck in the mud and i could not get it out and the sea was coming in so that was that but i had a good day lost me shoe got a slap when i got home i some times think is my shoe still in the mud lololololo
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
O'h well. I must be invisable. ???

Andy Capp

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:44:15 PM »
HI JACQUELINE
DONT BE ALONE OUT THERE YOUR NOT INVISABLE. YES ALLENWAYS WERE ON MOSELEY ROAD NEAR THE LIGHTS AT BRIGHTON ROAD JUST BELOW THE TRAM DEPOT. THEY MAY HAVE MOVED LATER I,M NOT SURE. THOSE DAY TRIPS ALL THOSE YEARS AGO WERE JUST AN EXCUSE FOR A GOOD BOOZE UP BECAUSE BY THE TIME YOU GOT THERE IT WAS TIME TO COME BACK. HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED. ANDY CAPP

Graham

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:50:13 PM »
Yes Jacqueline, don't think we are being rude by not answering, it's just that we never had any money to go on a 'shara' trip  :-[. Graham.

Andy Capp

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »
ON THE WAY BACK HOME FROM OUR DAY TRIPS. ALL, THOSE ON COACH WOULD START SINGING ALL THE OLD SONGS. LIKE ON MOTHER KELLYS DOORSTEP AND THE LIKE. HAPPY DAYS. ANDY CAPP

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy