Author Topic: Wyndham Racing Cycling Club  (Read 6494 times)

1jpdcp

Wyndham Racing Cycling Club
« on: January 30, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »
Does anyone know if the Wyndham Racing Cyclists Club still exists?

Graham

Re: Wyndham Racing Cycling Club
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:58:39 PM »
N° 1, I'm sorry that I did not reply earlier but I had closed down my account with BF before your posting. I hope that you don't think that I was being rude?

If I remember rightly the Wyndham RCC and the Rover CC both joined hands in 1966 to form the new Tommy Godwin, 'BIRMINGHAM RACING CYCLISTS CLUB', of which I was one of the first members along with Trevor Bull, Fred Booker, the Cox brothers ETC.

I left the Solihull Cycling Club and joined the BRCC before I moved abroad, as I felt that they (the Solihull CC) hadn't done enough to help me in my pursuit of victory, yet they were very keen to boast of my victory's. IN 1966 I knew that I was heading for fame (world champion 1967) and didn't want the Solihull bragging about that! Can't be more Brummie than that, can I?

martial

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
My dad raced for the Rover back in the twenties, did quite well. I still have his racing records, and his trophies are still about the house

madeinbirmingham

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
I am in touch with Tommy Godwin and was an ex member of the Wyndham myself. The stuff you have is important please make sure it has a secure future--a lot of stuff ends up in skips if you have not planned ahead!!!

The Wyndham does not exist anymore I was at Eric Gordon's funeral a few years ago with all the last members. Dave Watkins, &  Roy Cox. members in the 60s were

Denis Cox jnr and snr
Roy Cox
Eric Gordon
Me
Don Rigby
Keith Harrison
Dave Watkins

it was a small club
www.madeinbirmingham.org  Birmingham's Industrial History Website

martial

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »
madeinbirmingham
                               yes I would like to think someone would find them interesting but as you say these things can easily get mislaid.Do you have any suggestions as to where they might be wanted.

madeinbirmingham

Re: Wyndham Racing Cycling Club--BEWARE
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »
I have a few suggestions but first of all let me tell you a little story--are you sitting comfortably.

In the middle 60s when my friends were getting cars and motorcycles and enjoying them I spent many weekends searching every office and space including the subway of Snow Hill staion, Hockley Goods Yard etc etc and buying old railway artefacts.

In the 80s I decided to present part of my collection to the then Birmingham Railway Museum after advertising for someone to be  custodian--I should add that I was also approached by two bogus museums who turned out to be collectors looking for something for nothing.

The railway museum sent around two officials who said my collection was the finest local collection they had seen and would be glad to look after it.

I realised after a year that I had mistakenly given them a very rare wall poster from Cornwall by mistake and after many letters and vists they finally found it with most of my collection in a goods van totally destroyed by damp. After threatening legal action they sent me £ 100 for the poster.

Now another museum I know of has been given quite a few motorcycles, they were given on the basis of a loan but these people later found out that they had actually signed away their rights and their property was now the museums (quite legally).

You may also remember the Midland Motor Museum at Bridgenorth were the owner got 7 years for defrauding the owners of exhibits Eg same sort of thing as above but done illegally.

So first of all beware who you give anything to and make sure you get written agrreement.

i would never just give anything to anyone--it needs to be a loan and a contact entered into-your great grandson may one day want what could be rightfully his property, and why not.

I hold property given to me by other people( I have a small private Birmingham museum) and I hope one day to give it all to the Birmingham Industrial Museum I am campaigning for(permanent loan).

Cycle making was very important to Birmingham and is one industry that has been very much forgotten so anything to do with cycles or cycling is very important.

www.madeinbirmingham.org  Birmingham's Industrial History Website

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
I realise that this is a very late reply but the additional information may be useful.

I was also at Eric Gordon's funeral where I met some people I had not seen for over 40 years.

Other members in the late 50's were
Me
Dave Barnes
Ian Robson
Roy Poulton
Tony Hart
Dickie Blundell
Bill McCormick? and of course, the President, Tim Field.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

brigader

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
Was the Roy Poulton mentioned at the funeral of Eric Gordon the same Roy Poulton wo worked for Brightside Heatng in Birmingham in 60-70s at all?.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »
Was the Roy Poulton mentioned at the funeral of Eric Gordon the same Roy Poulton wo worked for Brightside Heatng in Birmingham in 60-70s at all?.

Hi Brigader

I have sent you a message regarding Roy Poulton

Ian
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

brigader

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »
Ian
   When did Eric Gordon pass away?,only on Facebook 70s cycling remembered someone has posted a pic of a track tean before a track meet in Valencia and Eric,Mick Ives,Dave Watkins,Lutz Durlacher,& i think Baz Keogh too!.
Cant post the pic as it needs re sizing and am not sure how to do that.

Fred

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
Hi Brigader

Welcome to the forum,

Try,

http://www.tinypic.com/

or

http://webresizer.com/

Both are safe and although process your photo different ways, both acquire the results needed.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy