Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 303482 times)

mazbeth

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 08:31:16 PM »
I think there was a nightclub above some building at the Swan island at Yardley as well. Can't remember what it was called, never went there but 2 girls in my class did used to.
Me and my friends went to the Locarno (in about '74/'75 when we were 15/16)
Snobs....didn't like that much...small dance floor or something - too crowded.
Was there one called Snoopy's as well as Sloopy's?

Samantha's (above Silver Blades ice rink) in '76, loved that.

Barbarella's in '76/'77 Saw AC/DC there, although didn't know who they were and that they were going to be there...
Herbie Hancock was there another night.

Yes, I think I went to the Cedar Club in '76/'77 too, as we used to go to the Duke of York pub, Hockley, which was down the road if I remember right.
Went to Rebecca's as well I think, but can't remember when, or where it was.

went to the Monte Carlo a few times after work (we went for a drink in between...I vaguely remember there was a bar/lounge? downstairs?) as I used to work at the Unemployment Benefit Office on Soho Rd Handsworth from March '81-July '84.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Bannion

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 08:59:10 PM »
Ladies,
Reading your latest I find I can give you some twenty years and at a time when you were just the proverbial twinkle, or more than like, not even thought about.
Been sat scratching the old bonce to name the places I went to but a number, the names of which, have slipped into obscurity.
There were two places up Handsworth the names of which I partially forget.  First is on the left at the top of the hill from Hockley Brook.  A bloke called Van Hagen ran it.  He had shows put on in a back room.
Then further along was the other place - was it called the Revue Bar?.
Apart from the beer, there was the young man's delight of the strippers.
Monte Carlo was going then. Think I used it once.
Most of the fun was going to the Shabeenes (sp?) up Handsworth run by the Carribeans.  One had to have a special invite to go to those and were held in private houses.
Done my bit in trying to recall the places but I know there were more and maybe the old grey matter will recall them someday. ???       

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »
Don't know a lot about the clubs over the north side of Birmingham, and I don't know a lot about the strip clubs (Bannion you dirty old man) anyway its like eating a toffee with the wrapper on.

I can give you the low down on all the dives on the south side of Birmingham they were the main type of club I frequented. When the pub closed (that was a rarity if you was in the know) it was off to a drinker. The Golden Gloves, The Gaylords, The Ringway, The Boundary, The Garry Owen(Brumbeat). The Beverley Hotel The Oxford Club, The Cascades. Need I go on I went to them all, and at a push The Dolls Club (no I lie Bannion) but I did go out with one of the girls.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »
Phil.... You can give Bannon the low down of all the strip clubs, ... well we must have pasted each other many a time, you forgot.. Ramonds Reveu Bar.... but as I've said, when youve seen one youve seen them all........ O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

patlane

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »
Some more nite clubs & bars to add to the list and some already mentioned!

Snobs, Lacarno (powerhouse), Mr Moons, The Dome, Night Out (Or was that the dome before it was the dome??), Barberellas, Rum Runner, The Tower, Pagoda Park, Kalaidascope and the Copper Kettle!

There was also a small club under the arches at snow hill but forgot the name. I saw a local band there in the early 80's called 'Pyramid'. Ring any bells!!

Pat.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »
Hi patlane,

let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum, never got to some of the clubs you mentioned by the time they opened I was an old married man. The Night Out did become the Dome on Bristol St. I used the Rum Runner and the Tow Rope Cafe over the road.

I also used La Dolce Vita, The Ringway (Pink Elephant), In the suburbs I got to The Garry Owen, The Boundary, The Golden Gloves, The Gaylords. Thats not mentioning all the unlicensed gambling clubs, drinkers and shebeens.

But now I am a good lad and I don't drink at all. I have to admit life is pretty quiet.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mikey

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 08:35:49 AM »
Phil

I remember going to The Dolls Club in the early 60s. The shows were [censored]***y crap, must have been for beginner girls. Had to pity the girls though 'cos in the break between shows they had to run round the back to the kitchen to prepare the supper and serve it to the punters. Talk about running the place on the cheap!
I am not young enough to know everything

mazbeth

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
Some more nite clubs & bars to add to the list and some already mentioned!

Snobs,
Snobs is still there I think...my son was going to go to it the other week with some school mates, but he wasn't quite 18 then so changed his mind as he needed I.D.
How time flies. ???

Mr Moons
that's the name I've been trying to think of...above the old ATV studios building or at least the bar connected to it...Paradise Circus??...up the outside metal stairs (which were treacherous in icy winter-time when wearing high heels).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:54:51 PM »
Mikey

I never actually went into the Dolls club, but I do have happy memories of it for other reasons. As I've said before I went out with one of the girls for a short while. I'm afraid in those days I have to say in all modesty I didn't have to go to clubs to see naked ladies. That sounds terrible and condescending I know but If I had told my mates I had been to the Dolls club I would have never been able to live it down.

Otherwise it didn't matter how low a dive the club was, I was there a lot of them I may have only used once. I didn't really have a regular watering hole in the sixties, unless you can count the Crown in Station Rd where I started from most nights.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »
mazbeth

I think the nightclub at the Swan you can't recall the name of was The Cavendish, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 02:20:33 PM »
I think I might remember it as Bloomers...but i think in about '72 there may have been another name..
as someone also asks here
What was the former name of Bloomers Nightclub at the Swan Centre? I can remember it being The Cavendish but I think it had an Italian name even before that. I think it was a sister club to The Dolce Vita in Smallbrook Queensway.
from http://www.solihull-online.com/letters.htm

there's a lot of B'ham club and band info on here
http://www.brumbeat.net/letters.htm

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy