Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302272 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #715 on: August 25, 2018, 11:43:29 PM »
When the M1 first opened ,drove down to London for the day.Pulled in to the cafe at the end( can't remember the name ) .queueing for a coffee who was behind me ,The great Tommy Cooper so normal and a nice person ,good to chat to.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #716 on: August 26, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
Fond memories of the past 10. Top Rank 1967 Grab a granny night. I'm 18, just finished nightschool at Aston Tech (engineering), it's Thursday, 8 o'clock and my mate Ken is waiting for me outside in his Hillman Imp (design disaster - engine over the back driving wheels - good but no weight over the steering wheels made the direction you wanted to go a bit of a lottery - he used to drive around with a 2x2 slab in the front boot to help keep the wheels down) anyway as usual I'm glad of the lift and we head for the city. Ken's a bit of a lad - he's engaged to a girl who was in my class at school but it doesn't cramp his style when clubbing. It's not long before I'm chatting up a slim girl from West Bromwich and Ken gets on with her friend. We get on fine all evening and I'm pretty sure we are going to move to the next level. The evening ends and I ask Shall we meet here tomorrow?, thinking she would realise I was asking for a date.
I only come here Thursdays she replied - well that shot me down in flames.
Afterwards I thought about it a bit more and do you know wot? There is a clue in my first line - she looked a few years older than me, no problem, I had a taste for the more mature lady from my first year at senior school (mature then was any girl in the 2nd year onwards including the teachers) Anyway I came to the conclusion she could well have been married and enjoying a night out from her husband - so had I unwittingly become embroiled in a possible menage a trois? (Had to check the spelling - sorry can't do the accents).
So I might have had a lucky escape - not a  fan of a knuckle sandwich from a big West Brom irate husband sort (then or know).
Ah well! That's Life!
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #717 on: August 26, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
Fond memories of the past 11. The Crown and Cushion, Perry Barr had a grear assembly room at the rear in the late 60's early 70's -  palatial decor, good bands. But for me the establishment had another important purpose - lunch. I studied engineering at the nearby University of Central England and the C&C was a favourite venue for a ploughman's for me and my associates.
There are better pics of the C&C around than the one below but this shot has significant importance, as the caption states it was taken just before outbreak  of WW2.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #718 on: August 26, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
Fond memories of the past 12. - Dining at The Top Rank: If you wanted good food and great bands the Top Rank wasn't the place to go in the late 60's - but it did have some pluses, notably you could always get in!. The Rank had a revolving stage, resident live singers and band on one side, disco on the other with revellers treated to both in equal measure. Frankly the female and male singers and the band did not generally gone down well with the dancers, the disco drew a lot more support. It was very pleasant for you and your new ladyfriend to be able to retreat to a quiet corner on the first floor gallery to get to know each other and if you wanted a snack you could get a decent burger and the like from the snack bar on that level, there was also a small disco with an under-lit coloured glass dance floor.
I met my wife at the Top Rank's 1969 New Years Eve Ball and we contiuned to visit the place when we got engaged right up until we got married in 1972, then we bought our first house in Tamworth and travelling to the city for entertainment was a bit more of a challenge.
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.

vamann

« Reply #719 on: August 27, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Fond memories of the past 11. The Crown and Cushion, Perry Barr had a grear assembly room at the rear in the late 60's early 70's -  palatial decor, good bands. But for me the establishment had another important purpose - lunch. I studied engineering at the nearby University of Central England and the C&C was a favourite venue for a ploughman's for me and my associates.
There are better pics of the C&C around than the one below but this shot has significant importance, as the caption states it was taken just before outbreak  of WW2.
Peg.
Was the University of Central England previously known as Aston Technical college ?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #720 on: August 27, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Was the University of Central England previously known as Aston Technical college ?
Hi Vamann. Yes. Brief history:
1. Aston Technical College became North Birmingham Technical College on moving to Perry Barr in 1967.
2. The name changed to City of Birmingham Polytechnic 1971.
3. Name changed again to University of Central England 1992.
4. Final name change to its current name Birmingham City University 2007.
Peg.
P.S. I fear we are drifting off-topic, I've already got a yellow card!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Fond memories of the past 13. Mothers Nightclub, when you see the list of top artists that appreared at Mothers in Erdington High St it's difficult to understand why the nightclub had such a short life: Aug 68 - Jan 71. Located at first floor level above a furniture store (and formerly The Carlton Club), opposite the old parish church, DJ John Peel (who regularly appeared there) hailed the venue as the No. 1 Rock Venue in the World. The list of top artists who appeared there is almost endless and includes: Pink Floyd, The Who, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, TRex, Elton John, Free and Led Zeplin.
Many up and coming groups also played there and those must have been the times I attended - I don't remember seeing any superstars.
Mothers was even closer to my home on the Lyndhurst Estate than the Queen's Head at 6 Ways - a real bonus when clubbing time was over.
Peg.

JudithM

« Reply #722 on: August 28, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Peg.

Thanks for that picture.  I lived for a few years near this junction & it's interesting to see what it looked like before the Birchfield Road was widened.  When I first lived there the Crown & Cushion was still the older building.  It was then knocked down &n replaced by a more modern building.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #723 on: August 29, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
Fond memories of the past 14. I need a bit of help here, folks - can't remember the name of the club. I'm guessing it's mid to late 70s when my wife suggests: We met on New Year's Eve why don't we go somewhere special this coming New Year's Eve? She told me where she wanted to go, she didn't know much about the club, I knew a little more and was surprised at her suggestion, you'll see why later, but like a true gent I didn't try and put her off.
The club was near 5 Ways, Edgbaston, might have been on the Hagley Rd, cost quite a lot to get in and wasn't very big - one thing I do remember with crystal clear clarity is that all the waitress' wore skimpy Palyboy Bunny-style outfits.
Not long after entering the club I could see my wife was questioning the wisdom of her choice, but, fair play, she stuck it out until midnight because we had paid so much to get in.
Ah! happy Days!
Peg.

Snooks

« Reply #724 on: August 29, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »
You're talking about Chaplins. It was a hostess nightclub. I remember it well as a boyfriend was resident singer there for a while. It later became Peppermint Park.The waiting staff and receptionist all wore Charlie Chaplin hats, collars & bow ties and black satin bunny girl type costumes, waistcoats.
Peter Sherratt was the manager and Ron .... trying to remember his surname  was the owner - he also did a bit of boxing promotion.
Steve Brown played keyboard and DJ'd - sometimes John Evans played keyboards and a guy called Rich played the drums... Does that sound like the place?
Onwards and upwards!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #725 on: August 29, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
You're talking about Chaplins. It was a hostess nightclub. I remember it well as a boyfriend was resident singer there for a while. It later became Peppermint Park.The waiting staff and receptionist all wore Charlie Chaplin hats, collars & bow ties and black satin bunny girl type costumes, waistcoats.
Peter Sherratt was the manager and Ron .... trying to remember his surname  was the owner - he also did a bit of boxing promotion.
Steve Brown played keyboard and DJ'd - sometimes John Evans played keyboards and a guy called Rich played the drums... Does that sound like the place?
O0 O0 O0
Thanks Snooks.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy