Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302250 times)

BarbaraB

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
Hi everybody
Has anybody mentioned the Crown and Cushion, Perry Barr?  Best place ever.  I was there most weekends. Saw the bands Peeps and Way of Life there - Way of Life's drummer at the time was a certain John Bonham.  Also saw what I described in my diary as "an amazing fire act" which I can only think now was The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.  Think it was 1969. Imagine what 'elf and safety would say about an act like that now!!
Also spent a lot of time in Mothers in Erdington, the Metro in Snow Hill and the Top Rank.  I also saw Led Zep somewhere but there was so much cannabis smoke around I can't remember where it was!!
Barbara

Steve

« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
Hi Barbara, I f you breathed that much MJ at the time, no wonder you can't remember it ;D
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Silverpearlpod

« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2012, 12:36:59 AM »
Hello.. the club next to the Surfside was called The Penthouse. I went there a couple of times. Cheers.

SuzyQ

« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
Hi does anyone remember going to the Opposite Lock? it had a members only bar called "Martins Room" ??

I loved all the clubs....Elbow Room, Rum Runner, Snobs, Rebeccas and Barbarellas (saw KC & the Sunshine Band there!) brilliant times...the best  O0   We used the do pub crawls all around Brum then off to the pie wagon at the top of snow hill and get the bus home!  classy eh? There was never any trouble and always felt safe :)

Frankf

« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
Does anyone remember Sloopy's on Corporation street?  It was on the corner almost opp the old law courts, great nights there, also Barbarella's, Rebecca's, Polyanna's, Cedar club, and the legendary Bogarts on New st - upstairs for he rock and the DJ's, downstairs for the Bierkellar fantastic!

Frank

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Hello to all the new members who have joined us since last I viewed this thread. Most of the clubs mentioned I knew of but I can't say that I was a regular customer because most of them opened in the 70's when my night clubbing days were over marriage will do that.

I remember Bogarts for the simple reason we had the contract to strip it out which I think was in the late 90's we stripped the ground floor and the first floor out back to its original condition but everything in the cellar was left as it was even the furniture and all the entrances were bricked up.

Here are a few photos of some of the clubs mentioned. Sloopy's, the Cedar, and Barbarellas.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
hi phil have you got one of the dollsclub?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Roy

I have been asked this question before several times, but I'm sorry the answer is no. I think I may have mentioned before that I never used the place even though when around 19 years of age I dated one of the girls for a short while.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Frankf

« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
Hi Phil

great pics - I havent seen a pic of Barbarellas in 30+ years!  Be good to see some interiors - any club - anyone  got anything?  Long shot I know - who would hav been going to clubs with a camera in those days??  No digital, no camera phones - no phones!

Still you never know.......

The pic of Sloopys is a reminder of those nights there, once through the door, you had to go straight donstairs to the club, the bar was on your right, dance floor straight ahead at the back and a seating area to the left - small but great atmosphere.

Frank

John M

« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2012, 05:13:34 AM »
Well this brought back some memories,
I went to most of the nightcluns in town in the late 70s.
Snobs, Mr Moon, Top Rank, Locarno, La Dolce Vita, Pollyannas, Faces (down Broad Street), Bogarts, The Tower (never could figure where that was, always was taken there).
There's probably a few others whose names I forget (or never knew).
Special mentions:
The Cedar Club... a dump but saw Slade there, brilliant night, only about 50 people there - including Roy Wood... about 1979
Barbarellas...Slade again, Wilko Johnson.. some others... it's a blur (no not them)
I am proud to say I slept in most of these places... my "party trick" was finding a space under tables and getting my head down. I was bored (and drunk) most of the time to be honest... my horizons were very narrow back then... took a while to figure out that life was more interesting than that. Don't get me wrong, I like a drink and a night out... just in a more (self) controlled manner.
What's that saying? "Youth is wasted on the young"?
PS. Walking home at 2 in the morning with your ears ringing is a prominent memory.

Whiskey

« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »
Just scanned thru' this thread and seeing mention of a cellar bar in Hurst St I recall sometimes using "The Theatre Bar" which was accessed by a door in the street at the left of the Theatre.
 My usual watering hole then was the "Fox" opposite the theatre. There was a stuffed fox in a glass case in there.
  Anyone know anything of "Stella's Bar" in Aston? My 2 uncles used to frequent it according to my cuz, they told her talent scouts were often in there. I myself have no recollection of it or where it was.
The cellar bar opposite The Fox used to be "The Windmill" in the mid/late 70's later became a gay bar called"Partners"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy