Author Topic: Moor End Lane School Erdington  (Read 53209 times)

irene

Re: Moor End Lane School Erdington
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 03:59:41 PM »
Hi.I did'nt go to Moor End,but my sisters & brothers went there.SUSAN JAYNE STEWART PETER AND HAROLD FLOYD.Does anyone remember them?.

drewsteve

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
I am a little late in joining this forum. But I to went to Moor End Lane School. I left in 1965. I was in the B stream all through school  My Form teachers were Miss Millington, Mr Marchbanks, Twice 2nd & 3 rd year and forth year Mr Hector. I lived on the Lyndhurst Estate from 1959 to 1969 in the flats ( Normanton Tower) I can remember at school going to a camp at Bellbroughton for Two weeks I think this was in the spring of 1962 I have One or Two photos of my class of 1961 Miss Milington & 1962 Mr Marchbanks I also have a couple of photos of the school plays. A Midsummer Nights Dream & A Comedy of Errors.

Mogmeister

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »
Hi Drewsteve
I also moved into Normanton Tower in 1959 and stayed till 1971 i lived at number 12 on the 2nd floor , like yourself Mr Marchbanks was my teacher and in the 4th year i was in 4T Mr Hector .
It would be fantastic if you were able to upload the photos of your class from 1961 , see if there are any face i recognoise .

champ

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
I left in 65. Mr Taylor was there , Mr Moore ,Miss Falon, Mr Lavender.
Marshbanks left just after I went to Moor End, and another Teacher who's name I can't remember but, he was another Teacher the older lad's would tell you about. " Wait till you get to Moor End "
I remember Mr Sharrat, he left and Mr. Ford took his place. He looked like Freddy, of Freddy & the Dreamers, so thats what he was called. I joined the class to " stop on " but, left in the summer anyway. I was born in Moor End Lane , and of course had all my friends in that area.
The house has been demolished, although the 1st block, with the corner Shop still stands.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
Hi Champ

Welcome to out forum, hope you can meet up with some old friends or acquaintances here. Its surprising how many people do just that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

champ

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
Thanks, Phil,
The Photo, I think the Girl, front row, 2nd in from the right lived next door. I am sure I knew the chap next to her too, light suit. Maybe if some one, who knew them, just put their first initials?

Boz

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
Hi Mogmeister   -   I am 80 next month so this is the first time I have posted anything !!! Iused to live at 212 Holly Lane just round the corner from Moor End Lane where I started school. It was war time and there used to be parraffin burners along the whole of the road to create a smoke screen against German Bombers.  I would arrive home with soot all over my face. I joined the Cubs at the school but cant remember any teachers names etc. My brother Colin was also at the school. I left when  I got a scholarship to Sir Josiah Masons Orphanage just up the road.  Our major very competative hobby at that time was collecting "shrapnell" after a night air raid to see who could get the best prized shell fragments.  I particularly remember watching a dog-fight between fighter planes from the top railings that separated us from the allotments.  I got that excited that somehow I got my head trapped between two railings and had to be rescued by a teacher .In 1940/41 as a family we were all evacuated to Honeybourne near Evesham , but returned in 1942 to allowme to take up a scholarship at KEGS Aston. All a long time ago !!!  But it may help you  Good luck  Alan Coldicott

Hi Alan,

I also lived in Holly Lane at 197, so we weren't far apart, although I don't recall your name. However, we moved when I was about 14 to the High Street but I continued at Moor End until I left in 1951, as I am 75.

Families I recall are Durber, Hunt, Simpson, Bourne, Walcott, Forsey and Millichamp.

I also recall the paraffin burners during the war and the VE and VJ street parties and the shop that lay back from the road where we used to go to buy bottles of Ardens lemonade. The heavy snow in the winter of 1947 I think closed the school for a while and we used to get over the hedge on a big heap of snow into the Delta sports field opposite our house. We also used to climb over a fence to get into the field to play in a bomb crater from a bomb that had been dropped in the field aiming for Dunlops, obviously not too accurate, but pretty close to our house, less than 200 yards. Happy days, at least most of the time.

buckshee

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
I am a little late in joining this forum. But I to went to Moor End Lane School. I left in 1965. I was in the B stream all through school  My Form teachers were Miss Millington, Mr Marchbanks, Twice 2nd & 3 rd year and forth year Mr Hector. I lived on the Lyndhurst Estate from 1959 to 1969 in the flats ( Normanton Tower) I can remember at school going to a camp at Bellbroughton for Two weeks I think this was in the spring of 1962 I have One or Two photos of my class of 1961 Miss Milington & 1962 Mr Marchbanks I also have a couple of photos of the school plays. A Midsummer Nights Dream & A Comedy of Errors.

I was there between 1962/6 Mr Taylor was the headmaster. Other teachers I remember Mr Waiger (Geography) Mr More (Science) Mr Took (art) Miss Falon (English) she was a stickler for handwiting and spelling!! She also did the school plays, and I was in Midsummer nights dream. Mr Sharratt (PE) and going to Spring Lane PF to play football and cricket, and also the annual school games. Are the PF still there?
Many happy memories behind the bike sheds having a crafty fag. I was in class 1-1 to 4-1.
Would like to see the photo" Midsummer Nights Dream " Sad to hear the school no longer exists, is our rival school Pagett Rd still standing
Happy school days. I lived in Topcroft Rd.
Graham

champ

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
There are a few memories of the Plays Miss Falon "put on". I too was in A Mid Summer Nights Dream. I was a fairy!! As a boy, in those days I never gave it a thought. We ( Fairys ) must have been in our 1st or second, year?
Lets face it a 14 year old /15 year old boy as a fairy, would not have worked.
I also had a part in A Comedy of errors. Mr Wagner was the make up Artist. I remember the Lad who played Bottom in a Mid Summers Night' he was brilliant, so funnny by the time we went on stage.

tom558

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »
Nice to see that there are still plenty of ex Moor End 'kids' still about  :)
I was there from 1960 to early December 1964,when I left suddenly,to get a cinema projectionist's job I had been after.

Mogmeister

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
Hey Tom , it wasnt the Palace was it

Mogmeister

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy