Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 175512 times)

peter brummy

Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
As stated the Prints come as an A3 with a border for framing.
Yes, very good .... What about the quality?

An A4 will do me for the same money. A3 is too big for where I want to put it.

denise

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I don't think heritage pics should belong to one person,they should be for everybody to view.not just someone trying to make money out of them.

Just my opinion.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 10:46:18 AM »
Denise,

I have to agree with you to a certain extent, but I also believe that a labourer is worthy of his hire. Or in this case a technician is entitled to his fee.

Anybody who posts photos to the net that are capable of being copied must realise that they will be copied.

In this case John Bird had only posted them to Ebay where if he hadn't posted a copy of the photo he wouldn't stand much chance of selling them. His error was to not deface them in manner of printing his name or a logo across them, like most do when they don't want them copied. It's an easy enough thing to do. John might think of doing this in future.

I will admit that I harvest many photos from across the net even ones that are copyright but these I keep for my own enjoyment and would not post any copyrighted photo to the net knowingly. It is far easier and less troublesome just to post a link if you want someone else to see it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
What is the definition of a ''heritage pic''?

peter brummy

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »
Getting a ' message warning noreply ' for posting the picture is a bit harsh to say the least. It was a genuine mistake.

If everyone got a warning for unknowingly posting old pictures that are 63 years old, that they were full sure were out of copyright and having seen them on the net before, they'd be afraid to post anything on here.

It was given to me in good faith and I posted it in good faith, I would of thought the benefit of the doubt would have been more applicable.

Seems a little over zealous that's all. A traffic warden fond of the pen springs to mind!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
Do not complain, query or discuss moderators' decisions on the boards. The administrator will happily discuss individual decisions at length by PM and if there has been misunderstanding then posts can be undeleted and restored to the forum.

Posts that break the above rules will be deleted. For serious or persistent offences a number of official warnings will be given before issuing a ban. The number of warnings issued will depend on the seriousness of the incident(s) as deemed by the moderator. In some cases no warnings may be issued at all before banning.
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

denise

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
What is the definition of a ''heritage pic''?

I suppose anything older than me LOL. :)

I don't know ,say 50 years.Time enough to see real changes.

tramp

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
Thanks for this.  From your reply, the issue of ''qualifying age'' seems indeterminate, and I agree.

I asked for 2 reasons, namely: the word ''heritage'' has begun to be as inappropriately used as ''iconic''.....which will eventually go the way of ''gay'' and lose it's original meaning.  Also, I've some old photos given to or bought by me, just a few actually taken by me, which could be termed as having ''significance''.  The oldest are from Berlin, e.g. our tanks at Brandenburg Gate before the Wall went up, various ''liberation of Biafra'' photos, and some less than a year old.  I'll never have several scanned or otherwise copied, and will never post any.

denise

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
I think of Iconic as that pic of the Guys sitting on the girder high in the air eating their lunch.

Heritage I think of that gives snapshots of history........much as we see on here.

If you have private pics and you have reasons for not sharing that is fine with me,my gripe is when people try to control pics for financial purposes.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »
Denise

I do so much agree with you on the point of people making money out images that we all have a right to see. Most times the so called copyright on these photos is dodgy at best.

In the years I have been collecting photos I have seen so many people making claims of copyright on the same photo it is unbelievable. How two or three people can have copyright on the same photo is a mystery to me.

But there are cases of well documented copyright and even if we hold the belief that it is wrong, then we have to obey the law as it is set out.

In the case of John Bird apparently he has well documented proof of copyright of the photo. But it wasn't this that he is attempting to make money from but the fact he had spent a lot of time colouring these two old photos and it was this time and effort that he is looking to be reimbursed for and who can blame him for that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
copyrights  I'm sure that we all have broke the copyright law when we have a copy of a CD even if we have been to the shop and paid for it and take it home and make a copy but if we take it to its end conclusion if some made a disk spent time and money then Evey body just made a copy then it would not be worth his time to make the CD in the first place so i think if some one puts time and effort in to doing works of art he should get a reword for his work
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy