Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 175497 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
One thing the old Bull Ring was not short of and that was Pubs. Here are just some of the pubs that were around in the locality before the Bull Ring was revamped in the 60's.

The Birmingham Arms was on the corner of Moat Row and Sherlock St. Rebuilt in 1886 on the site of a former pub it closed in 1973.

The Royal George on the corner of Digbeth and Park St. once part of the The London Museum and Music hall, you can still see the building that became the Bull Ring Cinema and later an amusement arcade to the left. It was known locally as the "Mucker". This building was changed for a new one in 1964. I believe that one is now closed.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »
Three more pubs from the Bull Ring Locality. These three are the The St Martins Hotel on the corner of Jamaica Row and St Martins Lane, The Smithfield Arms and Brooks Vaults both on the other side of Jamaica Row at numbers 47 & 51. All three were fine looking pubs but were swept aside by the developers hammer.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
Here are some more Bull Ring Pubs, The first one is not so well known and was located in Moat Lane opposite Smithfield Market. I believe it was partially damaged by a bomb in the war but remained open until the now Bull Ring Tavern was opened to replace it, both pubs were called the Tabot.

The next one is Stevens Bar that was on the corner of High St and New St, unlike the Talbot it might have escaped the bombing but it didn't escape the demolition crew's hammer at the end of the 50's.

The last one of these three is another old Victorian pub The Comet which I have to assume because of its position opposite the old Market Hall that it was bombed out during the war as was a good part of that area of the High St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dontheturner

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:58 AM »
Thanks for All these lovely scenes, from my Childhood, in the Old Bull Ring, but never a mention of the Pet Shop, mostly birds, which was located two or three doors down, on the right, and also, the Hobbies Shop, on the left, lower down, opposite Woolworths, somewhere. - Those were the shops, that had me crying, in 1940.  The Birds used to be loose, in the shop window, and although the window panes had gone, the birds were still flying around screeching.  never a word about the Mechanical Clock on the left, high up, in the Market Hall, with its' marching soldiers???  come on, Brummies, where are you?    Dontheturner.,
With Wife No 3 (from Thailand), and now back in Wellington Shropshire.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
i can remember pimms the pet shop and  the way the old bull ring was  but the  Mechanical Clock that's got me

the top market up the steps with that bomb that you put money in the lady selling Carrier bag the barrow  boys selling the veg the strong men doing there act on Wednesdays in the bullring the  preacher going on about the bible and the spives selling knock off stuff out of a case
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

dontheturner

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 02:58:55 AM »
 Mechanical Clock that's got me
 the top market up the steps   preacher going on about the bible and the spives selling knock off stuff out of a case

Thanks Roy ben - Perhaps too young to recall Hobbies? - a yound lads dream -  And that  ''Automaton Clock was so fascinating to young 'uns like me - And the Sunday bible punchers, on their pop-crates- telling of the evils of Booze!  I will never forget. - (changed my Avatar, for a good 'un)  dontheturner

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
hi dontheturner
                       yep your right im only a young lad now  O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
Don

The Automaton clock you describe just has to be Percy Shurmers Clock, this is a little piece that I wrote about the great man and the clock somewhere else. In fact it might even be on this forum somewhere.

The clock that stood above the old market offices in the Bull Ring until it was bombed on the night of 25/26 August 1940 was affectionately known as “Percy’s Clock”.

The clock was built in 1883 by W. Potts of Leeds and was originally placed in the Imperial Arcade in Dale End. The dial was 5ft across and had an area of 18 sq ft. the four animate figures represented the Earl of Warwick, his wife, a retainer and a Saracen. The two inner larger figures were seven and a half feet tall.

In 1936 Percy Shurmer insisted that the clock which had not worked for about 20 years was repaired and moved to the Market Hall. So it was repaired, and renovated and duly installed above the market offices.

As stated it was bombed out of existence some four years later. At the time Percy demanded that after the war a similar type clock in the German city of Munich should be taken to replace it saying “They knocked ours to bits, lets have theirs to square it up”.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dontheturner

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Don
The Automaton clock you describe just has to be Percy Shurmers Clock, this is a little piece that I wrote about the great man and the clock somewhere else. In fact it might even be on this forum somewhere.
 The clock that stood above the old market offices in the Bull Ring until it was bombed on the night of 25/26 August 1940 was affectionately known as “Percy’s Clock”.

The clock was built in 1883 by W. Potts of Leeds and was originally placed in the Imperial Arcade in Dale End. The dial was 5ft across and had an area of 18 sq ft. the four animate figures represented the Earl of Warwick, his wife, a retainer and a Saracen. The two inner larger figures were seven and a half feet tall.

In 1936 Percy Shurmer insisted that the clock which had not worked for about 20 years was repaired and moved to the Market Hall. So it was repaired, and renovated and duly installed above the market offices.
As stated it was bombed out of existence some four years later. At the time Percy demanded that after the war a similar type clock in the German city of Munich should be taken to replace it saying “They knocked ours to bits, lets have theirs to square it up”.
 Phil
Hello Again Phil, Thank you so much, for the photograph.  I was just 8 when I first saw that clock -  Father, took me around whenever he went to the Jewellery Quarter, as he was in Business, as a Watchmaker & Material Dealer, in Walsall, & West Bromwich, and I have lots to talk about, but it will have to wait till we are back in the UK, (Hopefully, after the 21st February).I have been making Wall and Mantel Clocks, here in Thailand, but alas, no one had enough Bahts, to buy them,(£30) so we are packing things up, and taking them home again.! So I repeat -Thank You   don. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »
Don

No problem, anytime you think I can help with a photo just ask and I will always have a look to see what I have. So being nosey as I am I have to ask what are you doing out in Thailand and why are you coming back?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dontheturner

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Don what are you doing out in Thailand and why are you coming back?
 Phil

I don't have many secrets - so I don't mind answering.  I was married to my Second Wife for 35 years, and for all those years, I did woodturning as a hobby.  (Electronics Engineer for the Min of Defence Army, as a civilian for 28 of those years)and when she died, after several strokes, I was so B...dy lonely, I went on the Pc, looking for company, and wanted, as most of us do, someone, young enough to care for me, and be lively enough to go ''wood shopping'' round timber yards with me,  Met several, chose 4, Chatted, then Chose Tippawan ( Tim ) and came to meet her, put a ring on her finger, gave her some cash, she got busy, and built this place, Put some Furniture in it, and I travelled back & forth.Then took her to Shropshire, Toured UK, then decided to ship everything - incl. W/shop here, and thought I would be well off. But as no one has money to buy anything, I am just the local benefactor - (Built 12 Small back to Backs to rent out).  Then early last year.  Thought, no more, so have given my UK tenant notice, and got it empty, so here we go, to start all over, perhaps, again. Regards  Don

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy